Aquinas High takes top mock trial honors
Guam - Congratulations tonight to the mock trial team from St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic High School as they will represent Guam at the national high school competition scheduled for next month in New Mexico. The school defeated St. John's in the final competition held this week at the District Court before a panel of judges and justices from the local and federal court as well as the Guam Bar.
The students from Saint Thomas Aquinas express their deepest gratitude and attribute their success to guidance and support from Archbishop Anthony Apuron and Monsignor David Quitugua. The school which is Guam's newest Catholic high school, is dedicated to promoting Catholic values in the pursuit of academic excellence.
St. Thomas Captures 4th Straight Mock Trial Championship Title
On March 28, the Mock Trial team from St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic High School defeated St. John's in the finals of the high school Mock Trial competition. The final competition was held in the District Court of Guam before a panel which included Chief Judge Francis Tydingco-Gatewood, Justice Robert Torres, Judge Jamie Canto and Guam Bar Association President Cynthia Ecube. This was the fourth year in a row that STA has won the island wide competition and earned the honor of representing Guam at the National High School Moot Court Competition, which will be held on May 7 -9 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
The STA team consisted of Kyra Rocco, Janielle Cuala, Crystal Mendoza, Mike Yoon, Audell Sabeti, Ashanti Mitchell, Daniel Liu,Stella Bae and Whitney Quinley. STA was coached this year by Attorney Leslie Travis and Melissa Mendoza. Mock Trial is a demanding event; students spend more than 20 hours a week honing their skills as attorneys and witnesses while maintaining a minimum of a B average in their school work. The Team, Ms. Williams (the President), and Dr. Diambra-Odi (the Principal) expressed particular gratitude to Archbishop Anthony Apuron for his vision and his continued support of STA, and to the Vicar General, Monsignor David C. Quitugua, his support of STA during the Archbishop's recovery.
The school, which is Guam's newest Catholic high school, is dedicated to promoting Catholic values in the pursuit of academic excellence. Since opening its doors in 2008, STA students have excelled in Guam and national competitions. A list of the student's accomplishments in the past year is as follows:
- 2008-2012 STA Mock Trial Team (First Place – Guam and represented Guam at Nationals)
- 2011- STA National Mock Trial Competition, Whitney Quinley was awarded "Most Outstanding Attorney", a distinction given to 9 out of over 100 of the very best attorneys in the national competition.
- 2011 - STA ACB Team ranked number four in the Guam High School Competitions.
- 2011 - First place in the 10th Grade Category of the American Mathematical Competition, Guam Chapter.
- 2011 - First place in the Island-Wide Science Fair competition for High School Division (Winner will earn a trip to NASA in summer 2011 or to the International Science Fair Competition in Pittsburgh in March 2012).
- 2011- First place in Island-Wide Science Fair, Physical science Category.
- 2011 - Second place in Island-Wide Science Fair, Human and Medical Category.
- 2011- Second Place in UOG Mathematical Competition.
- 2011 - Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude in National Latin Exam.
- 2011 - Candidate for AP Scholar.