Updates on Solid Waste Division - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Updates on Solid Waste Division

by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - It's been over six months since the Ordot Dump closed and today federal receiver Gershman, Brickner and Bratton provided court with its progress report including ongoing testing and an financial update of the Solid Waste Authority, along with efforts to permanently cap off the facility.

The work continues in order to comply with the Ordot consent decree and today GBB ensured District Court of Guam Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood that not only are efforts ongoing to ensure the Ordot Dump isn't a source of future pollution but that the Layon landfill is operating accordingly and that Solid Waste Authority customers are served in a timely and cost-effective manner.

GBB's special principal associate David Manning said, "We continue to be very pleased with the work of the collections crews. They're collecting 99.7% of all of the pickups that they're supposed to make on time. We are also seeing a substantial improvement in the number of delinquent customers, which is always an issue."

However, manning says GBB is still faced with several challenges from the extensive amount of testing needed to understand the possible contamination out there along with beginning to meet with the Solid Waste Authority's board of directors that Governor Eddie Calvo recently appointed along with working with the court on the curbside recycling program and the possibility of expanding it to all residential customers.

And as we previously reported, the military came on board as customer in October, which would have resulted in lower rates. Manning says although he can't contribute it entirely to the pause in the military buildup, the amount of waste collected has been substantially lower. "The rates are improved by the military being on board, but they're not improved as much as we had hoped they would be simply because of the amount of waste the military is bringing in is a lot lower," he explained.

He adds the military is seeking an amendment within their contract with the respect to the quantities they had originally estimated. Meanwhile, Manning also discussed rate recommendations to the Public Utilities Commission should Guam proceed with a second landfill - something he says Guam doesn't need. It would cost GovGuam millions more annually.

"And if they do permit it, we will have no alternative but to cut the rates to ensure that the facilities that are already here and remain competitive - and that will cost the Government of Guam $12 million a year," Manning stated. Ultimately, Manning says it's the receiver's responsibility to cleanup the site, and not only completely close the dump but cap it off - something he says would cost an estimated $40 million and would take a year or so until they complete a design and construction process. 

The next status hearing is set for July 18. 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Joint Region Marianas hosts Programmatic Agreement Workshop

    Joint Region Marianas hosts Programmatic Agreement Workshop

    Joint Region Marianas hosted the 6th Annual Programmatic Agreement Workshop on Thursday, at the Sen. Antonio M. Palomo Guam Museum and Education Facility. Collaboration and partnership among stakeholders and signatories were the common themes of the workshop. Du

    More >>

    Joint Region Marianas hosted the 6th Annual Programmatic Agreement Workshop on Thursday, at the Sen. Antonio M. Palomo Guam Museum and Education Facility. Collaboration and partnership among stakeholders and signatories were the common themes of the workshop. During the day-long event, the Navy team provided presentations on the progress made over the last year in a variety of significant areas. 

    More >>
  • Jury determines a mistrial in drug case

    Jury determines a mistrial in drug case

    Following closing arguments on Monday, the jury determined a mistrial in the drug case involving Raymond Martinez and Juanita Moser. The couple was on trial for conspiracy and possession of methamphetamine hydrochloride with the intent to distribute. It wMore >>
    Following closing arguments on Monday, the jury determined a mistrial in the drug case involving Raymond Martinez and Juanita Moser. The couple was on trial for conspiracy and possession of methamphetamine hydrochloride with the intent to distribute. It wMore >>
  • Lou & Josh official file paperwork for gubernatorial run

    Lou & Josh official file paperwork for gubernatorial run

    The Gubernatorial team of Lou Leon Guerrero and Josh Tenorio make it official. This afternoon they filed their paperwork for candidacy at the Guam Election Commission. Lou and Josh, are the third gubernatorial team to officially file. The team of former GMore >>
    The Gubernatorial team of Lou Leon Guerrero and Josh Tenorio make it official. This afternoon they filed their paperwork for candidacy at the Guam Election Commission. Lou and Josh, are the third gubernatorial team to officially file. The team of former GMore >>
Powered by Frankly