by Sabrina Salas Matanane


Guam - 
Bernadette Meno has issued the following statement in response to an affidavit filed at the Guam Election Commission by Dededo precinct official Catherine Peredo who recanted her complaint regarding seeing an ice cooler allegedly containing premarked ballots for Calvo Tenorio on election day. Peredo said she did not write the complaint but that Meno did. She stated she did not read it before it was filed with the GEC.


Here is Meno's statement:


Mr. John Peredo brought his wife Catherine Peredo forward to our campaign a short while ago with her allegations regarding the cooler with with what she said were pre-marked ballots for CT and some senators. She had prepared a hand-written statement about this and provided it to several individuals. Eventually, a meeting was called to inquire with her about what she saw. I was present along with Attorney Vanessa Williams, Mr. Bob Kelley and Catherine Peredo. After hearing her allegations we were all obviously very concerned because they alleged a potential criminal activity. It was decided that she should memorialize what she told us in an affidavit as well as speak the the FBI about her allegations. Both Catherine and her husband John agreed to do both. I drafted the affidavit based on what she told Attorney Williams, myself and Mr. Kelley and told her to make any changes necessary prior to signing it. The FBI agreed to interview her based on the seriousness of her allegations and they did so on Sunday November 15, 2014. Early last week Mr. Peredo personally delivered copies of the affidavit to the Guam Election Commission. Following the release of her name attached to the affidavit, Catherine Peredo and her husband were very upset that her name was released to the media. She was worried because she claims she is in line for a promotion at her government of Guam agency and she doesn't want the publicity over her allegations to hurt her chances of a promotion. Mr. and Mrs. Peredo were also very upset that the election commission was calling them down for her to give an interview as they claimed the other precinct officials from her area were there and it was very intimidating. On Tuesday evening Mr. Peredo called me upset that his wife was allegedly getting threatening and harassing phone calls over her name being in the news. I advised him that if they were in fact receiving threatening phone calls, then they needed to report it to law enforcement authorities. I am unsure why she is now recanting her story considering she shared it with numerous persons including the FBI. I certainly hope the fear of speaking up and endangering her government job as well as her allegations of receiving threatening phone calls did not play a role in this. I wish her and her husband well.