Van de Veld believes CSC should hear Bernadette Meno case - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Van de Veld believes CSC should hear Bernadette Meno case

Posted: Updated:

The lawyer for the central figure in the mass firing of seven Port Authority of Guam employees back in 2012 will likely seek a court order to force the Civil Service Commission to hear his case. Attorney Curtis Van de Veld argues that a recent high court ruling supports his contention that the Port missed the legal deadline to terminate client Bernadette Meno.

The employees were accused of conspiring to make illegal payments to Meno for a work injury claim. They appealed their adverse actions to the civil service commission. Five of them prevailed, but still await the results of a court appeal by the Port. Two other cases, including Meno's, have still not been heard by the CSC, and a frustrated Van de Veld says he'll recommend to his client that they take the matter to the superior court.

"Because if we have to keep coming back before these people we're never going to get due process of law" he stated. He's pushing for a hearing after a just issued Supreme court ruling which he says supports his client's argument that her termination came too late.

The high court agreed with fired Port financial chief Jojo Guevara, who won his case based on untimely termination. "Management knew or should have known prior to October 16 of the circumstances relative to the termination of the employees including Ms. Meno," he said.  "Then they knew about if there was an illegal claim by Ms. Meno then they knew about that before Mr. Guevara signed off on the payments. So to say that somehow the Guevara decision does not apply to Ms. Meno is ridiculous considering his actions occurred after the actions of Ms. Meno in submitting her claim."

But Port attorney Darlene Hiton says the facts of the Guevara case are completely different, and don't apply in Meno's case. And CSC director Peter Calvo says they are holding off on the Meno case and another one pending the court decision.

In the meantime, Van de Veld contends, the longer the port and the CSC delay resolution of the cases, the more money it will cost the port in the end, saying, "We're talking about years of backpay liability that the people of Guam will have to pay for."

The CSC scheduled the next status conference in three months. 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>
  • Kino Keeler charged with rape

    Kino Keeler charged with rape

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>
  • Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
Powered by Frankly