Ambitious students make use of college fair to prepare - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Ambitious students make use of college fair to prepare

Posted: Updated:

School is out for the holidays, but many students KUAM News spoke with apparently don't take breaks when it comes to applying for higher education. This week the Department of Education hosted a college fair for high school juniors.

No breaks for the aspiring college student. High School Students are taking this Winter break to get a head start on their college apps. "I would like to go to Harvard or Princeton, but you know it's out of reach, UOG is the best option for me right now," described Ivan Roscll, a junior at Southern High School. He often dreams of finding the right college to pursue his degree, adding, "There are often many opportunities overlooked by students and starting early is the best option for us in terms of finding the right college just for us."

It's not the typical college fair. Usually held in September for High School Seniors. DOE wants to get the process started sooner, inviting 100 juniors to start lengthy, time consuming applications and look into financial aid.

Father Duenas junior Ethan Storie told KUAM News, "I think we all had a base understanding of what we would be doing but no one knew the details for financial aid and the best value for our education."

Home for the holidays, the workshops were led by Vincent Flores, originally from Sinajana, who now lives in Korea as the advising coordinator for Education USA. He shared, "I'm here in Guam, even though it's not my region, I'm helping students in Korea why shouldn't we do it for students here in Guam."

And if there's one lesson learned, Teryn Rupley a junior from JFK, says it's that all her goals are within reach. She said, "I learned different websites to narrow down your options there's no such thing as can't you can it's just the will to do it or not."

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
  • $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
  • Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
Powered by Frankly