Memorial honors lives lost in Asan during historic battle - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Memorial honors lives lost in Asan during historic battle

Posted: Updated:

This time next week, thousands of you will probably be just returning home from spending the day at the Liberation Parade or maybe even preparing to head out to carnival grounds to watch the fireworks. But this morning in the village of Asan a memorial ceremony was held - one of many planned over the next few days so that "We Always Remember" what happened on Guam during the Japanese Occupation.

Once stained with the blood of soldiers and civilians.. Now filled with hope that what happened here seven decades ago never happens again. An emcee announced, "Asan Memorial Beach is remembered for brave servicemen and Chamorros who gave their lives so that we can enjoy freedom on Guam today."

Here on the shores of Asan is where the United States began its efforts to recapture Guam from Japan-- from December 1941 to August 1944 the island was under Japanese occupation during World War II.  So many lives were lost.

Governor Eddie Calvo said, "And in the end nearly 2,000 men of our armed forces of America paid the ultimate price of liberty for Guam and over 17,000 soldiers from Japan perished, as well."

At least two dozen Asan residents also died. The memorial service here is one of many taking place so that we always remember. And according to Governor Calvo we also learn from the tragedy that happened on Guam 73 years ago. "The price of liberation and the cost of war. For us I can take a couple points from it number one appreciation of the sacrifices of our armed forces and those who paid the ultimate price, appreciation for those sacrifices for every freedom that we have and liberty that we have," he said.

On Saturday another memorial service will be held in the village of Merizo where site visits are scheduled for Tinta and Faha. Toward the end of the Japanese occupation of Guam, dozens of Merizo residents were rounded up by Japanese soldiers, taken to these areas and murdered.  The site visits begin at 8 o'clock in the morning.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
  • $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
  • Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
Powered by Frankly