DOC details inquiry into nude photos of inmate - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

DOC details inquiry into nude photos of inmate

Posted: Updated:

Department of Corrections investigators have submitted their preliminary findings of an investigation into nude photos that surfaced of an inmate.

One corrections officer has come clean, as agency deputy director Carla Borja told KUAM News, "The other officer admitted to taking the inappropriate photos of the inmate; subsequently a notice of proposed adverse action was served upon him. So until that timeframe, the case remains open at this time."

Borja spoke of an Internal Affairs investigation that was prompted by nude photos of an inmate that surfaced late last month. Multiple sources told KUAM News the photos were of inmate Keith Garrido, the man convicted for murder alongside dozens of pending charges. Garrido is seen smiling in the nude during a strip search as he covers his private parts with a hospital mask.

Those photos were allegedly taken by a corrections officer, prompting the investigation.

Four corrections officers were then placed on administrative leave. As of today, two of those officers were cleared of any wrongdoing, while two remain on leave.

Now that one officer has confessed to snapping the photos, what comes next is in the hands of DepCor director, Jose San Agustin. "There's a timeframe we follow - ten days to meet with the director. The director will then decide what adverse action will be taken," Borja said.

San Agustin is anticipated to take action on the proposed adverse action on August 15.

Meanwhile, a cell phone ban has been reinstated throughout prison grounds. "The director reinstated the cell phone ban through the facility. So there are no cell phones allowed in the facility with the exception of management, command staff, and the medical team," Borja concluded.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly