Judge asked to impose receivership - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Judge asked to impose receivership

Posted: Updated:
Three individuals who filed suit against the Government of Guam seven years ago have asked District Court Judge Consuelo Marshall to impose receivership to force GovGuam to provide minimum care requirements for individuals with disabilities.

According to the motion filed late Friday afternoon in the District Court, the plaintiffs' attorney Daniel Sommerfleck contends the Department of Mental Health and DISID "lack the leadership or the will to bring themselves into compliance with the Amended Permanent Injunction and another contempt motion is not likely to bring about change that is so urgently needed."

Sommerfleck stressed that the defendants' continued failure to comply with the Injunction endangers the plaintiffs and those similarly situated. The plaintiffs cited examples of the lack of care being provided to those who need it. While 29 individuals require dental service, only 3 have received that service.

13 individuals require rehabilitation, but only one has received it. 40 consumers require cognitive behavioral therapy and 19 require psychological testing but to date none have received either service.

The plaintiffs allege that resources have been and continue to be wasted and the defendants lack sufficient leadership to "turn the tide within a reasonable time".

Sommerfleck told the court that a receiver is likely to provide a relatively quick and effective remedy as numerous contempt orders imposed by the court previously have been "ineffective". He added, "The time has come for the court to end this charade by appointing a receiver to complete what the defendants should have completed years ago."

Meanwhile, the plaintiffs' attorneys have asked the court to award them attorneys fees incurred for the last year and a half.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Philippines Removed from H2B Visa Program

    Philippines Removed from H2B Visa Program

    The Philippines has been removed from the list of countries eligible to participate in the H2B foreign worker programs. According to a January 18 notice in the federal register, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in consultation with the State DeparMore >>
    The Philippines has been removed from the list of countries eligible to participate in the H2B foreign worker programs. According to a January 18 notice in the federal register, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in consultation with the State DeparMore >>
  • Guam native captures video of Lincoln Memorial confrontation

    Guam native captures video of Lincoln Memorial confrontation

    A Guam native is making waves after a video she captured went viral following a confrontation at the Indigenous Peoples March at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on Friday.More >>
    A Guam native is making waves after a video she captured went viral following a confrontation at the Indigenous Peoples March at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on Friday.More >>
  • Archdiocese says bankruptcy is necessary action

    Archdiocese says bankruptcy is necessary action

    Bankruptcy is the right path to justice and recovery. Archbishop Michael Byrnes writing to the community on Sunday in his message about the recent Chapter 11 reorganization - the bankruptcy filing to cover the claims for the more than 200 victims of clergMore >>
    Bankruptcy is the right path to justice and recovery. Archbishop Michael Byrnes writing to the community on Sunday in his message about the recent Chapter 11 reorganization - the bankruptcy filing to cover the claims for the more than 200 victims of clergMore >>
Powered by Frankly