Road Safety Reminder for the Week
DRIVING AT NIGHT
Your speed should always be lowered for night-time driving. You are not as alert after a long day, nor do you see so well. The steady hum of the motor tends to lull you to sleep. But wide-awake driving is really needed at night, when your driving view is limited by darkness. Experts agree on the following rules for safer night-time driving.
- Headlights must be used whenever a motor vehicle is being operated on a highway or adjacent should from 1 hour before sunrise, or at any time there isn’t sufficient light. It is illegal to drive with only your parking lights on. If you think parking lights are called for, then use headlights. Parking lights are for parking ONLY.
- Keep your headlights properly adjusted so that the lower beams are not aimed upward.
- Keep your windshield clean.
- When you meet an oncoming car, you must lower your headlight beams (dim your lights) within 500 feet of the approaching motorist.
- Slow down when facing the glare from approaching motorist.
- Avoid looking directly into the lights of the cars you are meeting. Instead,watch the edge of the roadway on your right.
- Lower your beams (dim your lights) when following another vehicle within 300 feet. Lower your headlights when you are driving on well-lighted streets.
- Use your lower beams when driving in a fog and reduce your speed. Driving with bright lights in fog is like shining a light into a mirror: the reflection of the light blinds you.
- Be sure that you can stop whenever necessary within the distance you can see clearly ahead, and watch continually and carefully for pedestrians and animals along the roadside.
Guam Construction Update
Motorists are advised to drive cautiously through the construction zones, observe all posted speed limit and construction signs, and carefully heed to flaggers. Alternative routes and/or adjusting drive times when feasible are encouraged.
Route 3 Widening
Construction activities are ongoing along Route 3 from just north of Route 28 to Potts Junction.
Motorists are advised of the traffic shift on Route 3 between Route 28 and Artero Drive from the existing roadway to the new construction.
The southbound lane at Fern Terrace is closed through mid-October. The southbound traffic has been diverted onto what are currently the southbound left turn and acceleration lanes. Motorists are advised to drive cautiously through the construction zones, observe all posted speed limit and construction signs.
Route 1/Route 8 Resurfacing and Route 8/Canada-Toto Loop Intersection
On Monday 9/9/2019, motorists are advised that there will be intermittent lane closures at the tri-intersection. Taking alternate routes and/or adjusting drive times is encouraged.
From Saturday 9/14/2019 through Sunday 9/15/2019, the DPW contractor will be milling and paving along the Route 8/10/16 Intersection and the Route 8A Intersection in Barrigada. Motorists are advised that there will be intermittent lane closures along the northbound, eastbound and westbound lanes from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The traffic signals will not be operational during construction. Motorists are advised to drive cautiously through the construction zones, observe all posted speed limit and construction signs. Taking alternate routes and/or adjusting drive times is encouraged.