OSHA continues probe into construction site death - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

OSHA continues probe into construction site death

Posted: Updated:

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is still investigating the construction death last week of Jay Wasisang, who died after apparently being struck in the head by a backhoe at a Mangilao site. In a speech Wednesday for the Northern Guam Rotary Club, local Labor Department safety administrator Jesse Pangelinan says the accident could have been prevented if the proper safety procedures were followed.

"I don't know what happened, but there was a backhoe and there was a forklift. That's all I know. But just from that, if he was really a spotter he needs to be away. If he's gonna go into that trench, that boom has to be away. That operator has to have the equipment controls neutralized or off. And in fact new backhoes, it's just a switch. Hit it, that thing's off," he said.

He says it was the second construction-related death this year. Federal OSHA responds to serious industrial accidents, and contractors must report deaths within 8 hours, and dismemberments and other severe injuries within 24 hours.

Pangelinan says Guam DOL provides OSHA training and consultation. They conduct site inspections to identify hazards, and can conduct on-the-spot abatement.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
  • Southern villages brace for storm

    Southern villages brace for storm

    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
  • Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
Powered by Frankly