Jury selection canceled in Joseph Sagdal matter - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Jury selection canceled in Joseph Sagdal matter

Posted: Updated:

Could parties strike a deal at the last minute? Jury selection for Joseph Sagdal should've started today, but was canceled. According to defense attorney David Lujan, this was "to give parties a chance to reach an agreement."

Sagdal is the shooting instructor charged in a double homicide in Harmon this time last year.

He has asserted self-defense in this case.

As reported, Sagdal told investigators he was hit in the face with a slingshot for unknown reasons.

That's when he says he followed his attackers and shot at them multiple times.

Both victims, Brokey Thomaso and AV Mwarecheong, died from gunshot wounds.

Court documents show Sagdal made a written statement to police admitting "I felt as though I shouldn't have used my gun in this situation, but I was afraid for my life. I regret not resolving this another way."

Should he go to trial, defense's witness list shows he won't be taking the stand.

They do, however, anticipate calling on the court's clinical psychologist, Dr. Juan Rapadas, to testify.

Jury selection is tentatively scheduled to begin on Tuesday afternoon.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    Pair plead guilty in food stamp scam

    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
    A pair accused of nearly half a million in food stamp fraud pleaded guilty in the District Court of Guam. Singeo Singenes, who owned and operated S & I Mart in Barrigada, as well as Innocencia Esirom pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of food stamp benefiMore >>
  • Southern villages brace for storm

    Southern villages brace for storm

    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
    As the strongest winds are expected to strike the southernmost part of the island, those villages are preparing for the brunt of the storm. Guam Power Authority crews were spotted cutting trees too close to power lines, and down in Merizo, an excavator anMore >>
  • Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    Keeping visitors safe, busy through the storm

    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
    By Bella Borja for KUAM News Despite strong winds blowing through and gray skies above, there were plenty of people spending pre-typhoon time down in Tumon Bay and in the water. And tourist district is also doing whatever possible to protect the visitors More >>
Powered by Frankly