Former Lotte Duty Free executive indicted in South Korean court - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Former Lotte Duty Free executive indicted in South Korean court

Posted: Sep 12, 2018 4:42 PM +10:00 Updated:

A former high-ranking executive of Lotte Duty Free has been indicted in a South Korean court on white collar crime charges. The indictment accuses him, in part, of passing on highly confidential information to Lotte business rival DFS regarding the $150 million Guam airport retail concessionaire contract.

The indictment filed by the seoul southern district prosecutors office accuses former Lotte executive S-Y Lee of violating the unfair competition prevention and trade secret protection act. The document states Lee resigned from Lotte when he thought he would be passed over for a promotion to company director. Prosecutors allege that he later met in Hong Kong with a top DFS executive, identified as Andrew Ford, and that he allegedly passed on confidential information about Lotte's plans for new businesses in 11 countries, including Guam.

Among the documents Lee allegedly provided included the bid proposal for the 2013 retail concession contract and other highly sensitive financial, operational, conceptual and marketing strategies. Prosecutors say such disclosures are prohibited by Lee's confidentiality agreement. They allege that he released the trade secrets for the purpose of taking improper profits or causing damage to his former employer.

In a statement, Lotte Korea attorney Jin Park described the alleged scheme involving global competitor DFS as "truly regrettable, and outrageous." Lotte's Guam counsel Cesar Cabot says Lotte believes there is a connection between the indictment and allegations of stealing trade secrets involving the GIAA duty free RFP and the pending lawsuits between Lotte, DFS and GIAA.

local counsel has filed new motions in its legal battle with DFS. One of the filings asks the court to take judicial notice of the indictment, and pause all proceedings until the Guam supreme court rules on the airport's appeal of Judge Arthur Barcinas' decision earlier this year that voided the GIAA-Lotte deal, and ordered the contract to be re-bid. 

DFS Local counsel Pat Civille says the company denies any wrongdoing, and denies DFS was trying to extract the confidential information. He says it was the disgruntled former Lotte employee who approached DFS about alleged misconduct. Civille says more importantly, S-Y Lee's alleged involvement surfaced long after the retail concession bid proposals were submitted. 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Lou and Josh announce transition team

    Lou and Josh announce transition team

    The Leon Guerrero/Tenorio team has announced their transition team. The Governor-elect and Lt. Governor-elect said in a statement Dr. Mary Okada will Act as Chairwoman of the transition team and Dr. Laura Torres Souder will Act as Vice Chair. The Lou and Josh team also announced they will not conduct public meetings, news briefings or media interviews until after the Guam Election Commission certifies General Election results, which is expected to happen on November 23. In t...

    More >>

    The Leon Guerrero/Tenorio team has announced their transition team. The Governor-elect and Lt. Governor-elect said in a statement Dr. Mary Okada will Act as Chairwoman of the transition team and Dr. Laura Torres Souder will Act as Vice Chair. The Lou and Josh team also announced they will not conduct public meetings, news briefings or media interviews until after the Guam

    More >>
  • Health insurance won't be suspended for public sector retirees this month

    Health insurance won't be suspended for public sector retirees this month

    Government retirees will not have their health insurance coverage suspended this month. The Department of Administration says it expects to make good on a $300,000 payment to TakeCare. The company sent out notice that it would have to cut services on NoveMore >>
    Government retirees will not have their health insurance coverage suspended this month. The Department of Administration says it expects to make good on a $300,000 payment to TakeCare. The company sent out notice that it would have to cut services on NoveMore >>
  • Ken Joe Ada speaks out about terrorizing arrest

    Ken Joe Ada speaks out about terrorizing arrest

    Ken Joe Ada, the former mayor of Yona, was charged with terrorizing over the weekend. And he's now speaking out about the incident that led to his arrest. He says he reached out to a local businessman about a commercial that he felt was malicious towards More >>
    Ken Joe Ada, the former mayor of Yona, was charged with terrorizing over the weekend. And he's now speaking out about the incident that led to his arrest. He says he reached out to a local businessman about a commercial that he felt was malicious towards More >>
Powered by Frankly