Businessman with previous spice conviction back in court - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Businessman with previous spice conviction back in court

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 4:38 PM Updated:

He apparently didn't learn his lesson the first time. A man convicted in federal court for "spice" is back in jail again. 60-year-old Max Myongki Ahn appeared in local court late Friday afternoon.

According to court documents, it was on June 5th a drug detector dog alerted customs officers to a package addressed to an individual by the name of Jack Cruz at Max's Smoke Shop/Gallop U.S.A. in Upper Tumon. Inside, authorities found several drug testing kits, glass pipes, and two foil packages containing 317-gross grams of a leafy substance believed to be synthetic marijuana, better known by its street name, "spice."

Court documents state the suspect package also contained 11-vials in commercial packaging labeled THC. The feds intercepted the package, replaced the items with sham, and sprayed clue spray before conducting a controlled delivery.

Though Ahn signed off on the package - saying it was for his employee - he was caught opening the box, clue spray evidently on his hands. Court documents state more suspected spice, digital scales, and plastic baggies were recovered from the shop.

Prosecutor Basil O'Mallan advised the court that Ahn is a repeat offender and recommended he be kept in jail on $10,000 cash bail.

His attorney, Gloria Rudolph, however, asked that bail amount be lowered.

O'Mallan said, "We view him to be a danger to the community; importing drugs and paraphernalia to the island. We also bring to the court's attention this is a repeat offense for Mr. Ahn. He pleaded guilty in the US District Court."

Rudolph said, "He's been a full-time businessman on Guam for 20 years and at this time he is self-employed. The only source of income he has is his business, which he runs by himself. So if he were detained, that source of income would pretty much evaporate. He also a private golf instructor. He's been doing that for the past five years and at present he has three students."

Bail was set at $10,000 cash.

KUAM files show Ahn's federal conviction resulted in no jail time, only five years probation with the first year to be spent in home detention. During his sentencing last year, he begged for mercy stating "I didn't know it was going to be this much trouble. When I purchased it, it was legal, but all of a sudden it became illegal."

KUAM files show that a 16-year-old girl passed out after purchasing spice from Ahn. The teen had her adult sibling purchase spice from one of his two storefronts and she was hospitalized. Fortunately, she made a full recovery with no long-term damage.

His next court hearing in the local case is scheduled for June 25.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Police looking into cause of deadly Yigo crash

    Police looking into cause of deadly Yigo crash

    Highway patrol investigators back on scene today of Sunday's deadly crash that claimed the life of one man. The tragedy happened after an auto-bus crash along the back road to Andersen. It happened around 4:50 pm Sunday on route 15 in Yigo. Police say theMore >>
    Highway patrol investigators back on scene today of Sunday's deadly crash that claimed the life of one man. The tragedy happened after an auto-bus crash along the back road to Andersen. It happened around 4:50 pm Sunday on route 15 in Yigo. Police say theMore >>
  • CNMI governor thanks Guam for post-typhoon help

    CNMI governor thanks Guam for post-typhoon help

    Fresh off his victory from the elections up north CNMI Governor Ralph was on island this weekend. He joined the One Marianas relief team on Saturday for a special ceremony at their Hagatna office. KUAM recently went on trip with the group to Tinian by boaMore >>
    Fresh off his victory from the elections up north CNMI Governor Ralph was on island this weekend. He joined the One Marianas relief team on Saturday for a special ceremony at their Hagatna office. KUAM recently went on trip with the group to Tinian by boaMore >>
  • Drug charges brought against Anthony Garcia

    Drug charges brought against Anthony Garcia

    A man is facing drug charges after the Mandana Drug Task Force executed a search warrant at a home in the tri-village of Mongmong-Toto-Maite. Anthony Eugene Garcia is charged with possession of a schedule II controlled substance. Court documents state thaMore >>
    A man is facing drug charges after the Mandana Drug Task Force executed a search warrant at a home in the tri-village of Mongmong-Toto-Maite. Anthony Eugene Garcia is charged with possession of a schedule II controlled substance. Court documents state thaMore >>
Powered by Frankly