Misconduct alleged by GSWA management - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Misconduct alleged by GSWA management

Posted: May 11, 2018 4:15 PM Updated:

There may be another snag in the long-delayed transfer of the Guam Solid Waste System to local control.  Allegations have been made of misconduct by GSWA management. In a status conference on Friday, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco Gatewood sealed a new report, then cleared the public from her courtroom so the parties involved could discuss it.

By sealing the report, the court barred public disclosure of the details. Federal receiver representative David Manning filed the motion which said the report contains allegations of misconduct against a member of the GSWA management team. In the conference, GSWA Board counsel Georgette Bello-Concepcion urged immediate discussion of the matter, which the judge allowed, but only in closed court.

Contacted for comment, Concepcion declined saying it's a personnel matter. She would not discuss the nature of the complaint, or whether it may further delay the transition deadline of June 30.

Meanwhile, the primary purpose for the status conference was to provide an update on the transition from the court-appointed receiver to GSWA. A previous delay in the turn-over was due to GSWA's failure to adopt rules and regulations that must also be approved by the legislature. General Manager Greg Martin says the required public hearings have been held, but one more is planned before the full body can vote and approve them.

Another unresolved issue is the conversion of contract employees to GovGuam hirees. 26 of the agency's 63 workers have yet to be converted, but martin says that's actively being addressed. Speaking briefly to reporters after the status conference, Martin said he's frustrated that the transition is taking so long. And after 7 months here, he's still not fully in charge. He also denied he was the subject of any complaint.

The turnover was set for December of last year, before it was pushed back again to the end of June.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • UOG organizers say only ballot candidates may debate

    UOG organizers say only ballot candidates may debate

    It's a no-go for the Aguon Limtiaco Team hoping to be able to participate in next week's Great Debate. This morning Senator Frank Aguon Jr. wrote a letter to UOG President Thomas Krise officially requesting that he and his running mate Alicia Limtiaco be More >>
    It's a no-go for the Aguon Limtiaco Team hoping to be able to participate in next week's Great Debate. This morning Senator Frank Aguon Jr. wrote a letter to UOG President Thomas Krise officially requesting that he and his running mate Alicia Limtiaco be More >>
  • Deceased Capuchin priest named in clergy sexual abuse lawsuit

    Deceased Capuchin priest named in clergy sexual abuse lawsuit

    A recently deceased Capuchin priest is named in the latest lawsuit filed in the District Court of Guam. Father George Maddock passed away late last month at the age of 81. The plaintiff, identified only by his initials L.J.A. to protect his privacy, allegMore >>
    A recently deceased Capuchin priest is named in the latest lawsuit filed in the District Court of Guam. Father George Maddock passed away late last month at the age of 81. The plaintiff, identified only by his initials L.J.A. to protect his privacy, allegMore >>
  • Should Frank Aguon be allowed to debate?

    Should Frank Aguon be allowed to debate?

    Senator Frank Aguon, Jr. has written a letter to UOG President Dr. Thomas Krise, officially requesting for him and Alicia Limtiaco to be allowed to participate in next Tuesday's Great Debate. The two have officially announced their write in candidacy for More >>
    Senator Frank Aguon, Jr. has written a letter to UOG President Dr. Thomas Krise, officially requesting for him and Alicia Limtiaco to be allowed to participate in next Tuesday's Great Debate. The two have officially announced their write in candidacy for More >>
Powered by Frankly