73% of Guam Highway Fund used for transportation - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

73% of Guam Highway Fund used for transportation

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 4:29 PM Updated:

It's a reoccurring issue, the Guam Highway Fund spending millions of dollars on non-highway or transportation related projects, although its intent was to do just that.

According to the Office of Public Accountability, GHF ended Fiscal Year 2017 with expenditures of $21.4 million. Though revenue increased with the passing of the liquid fuel tax that was supposed to be collected for road repair, the OPA found $15.5 million or 73% was spent on transportation, but the remaining $5.9 million or 27% was spent on the Mayor's Council of Guam operations, the General Fund, Better Public Service Fund, and the University of Guam and GCC.

This means a large portion of that money did not go to rebuild roads. The OPA adding little to no movement on seven projects for bus and street repairs - not to mention they found issue with GRTA's sole source procurement.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Man hit by car on Ypao Road

    Man hit by car on Ypao Road

    Police have blocked off both lanes along Ypao Road in Tamuning after a man is hit by a car Sunday evening. It happened in front of the Wyndham Garden suites just before 7pm. Witnesses say the unidentified man was walking along the road when the accident occurred. He was rushed to the hospital, but his condition has not yet been 

    More >>

    Police have blocked off both lanes along Ypao Road in Tamuning after a man is hit by a car Sunday evening. It happened in front of the Wyndham Garden suites just before 7pm. Witnesses say the unidentified man was walking along the road when the accident occurred. He was rushed to the hospital, but his condition has not yet been released. Two women believed to have been inside the car at the time o

    More >>
  • Former university professor Ehlert taking UOG to Supreme Court

    Former university professor Ehlert taking UOG to Supreme Court

    Longtime University of Guam psychology professor Dr. Michael Ehlert is taking his former employer to the Supreme Court. Dr. Ehlert, as we reported, was tried and convicted for two counts of felony criminal sexual conduct. That guilty verdict was rendered More >>
    Longtime University of Guam psychology professor Dr. Michael Ehlert is taking his former employer to the Supreme Court. Dr. Ehlert, as we reported, was tried and convicted for two counts of felony criminal sexual conduct. That guilty verdict was rendered More >>
  • Mark Torre, Jr. gets to make appeal before Supreme Court in October

    Mark Torre, Jr. gets to make appeal before Supreme Court in October

    Convicted cop Mark Torre, Jr. will get his day in court. Supreme Court oral arguments for Torre's appeal have been scheduled for later this year. Torre, as we reported, was convicted in the fatal shooting of fellow GPD officer Elbert Piolo. Though Torre wMore >>
    Convicted cop Mark Torre, Jr. will get his day in court. Supreme Court oral arguments for Torre's appeal have been scheduled for later this year. Torre, as we reported, was convicted in the fatal shooting of fellow GPD officer Elbert Piolo. Though Torre wMore >>
Powered by Frankly