Airport's 15-million dollar a year deal with Lotte Duty Free has - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Airport's 15-million dollar a year deal with Lotte Duty Free has been voided

Posted: Updated:

DFS and the airport have been locked in a legal battle over the airport's 2013 contract award to Lotte, a contract DFS alone had held for 40 years.  In a 37-page decision, the Judge granted a DFS motion for summary judgement, which effectively precludes what was previously scheduled to be a lengthy bench trial. Barcinas agreed with DFS that the airport violated multiple provisions of Guam procurement law. In his ruling, the Judge found that the contract procurement was improperly administered. He found that GIAA failed to maintain a complete record of the procurement, and failed to properly certify it.  He also faulted the airport for failing to automatically stay the contract award after a DFS protest, and for failing to adopt lease and concession criteria as required by law.

In a statement Monday announcing the supreme court appeal, airport executive manager chuck ada called the procurement "open, transparent and fair." He says it was their duty to get the best deal possible, and he says the one with Lotte is one of the most advantageous ever. He adds that the airport has already earned 70-million of the 154-million due over the contract term, and Lotte invested another 23-million in capital improvements.

Airport attorney Genevieve Rapadas says the DFS protests were frivolous and she was surprised that the court chose to accept their excuses for not following the rules for protest.

DFS attorney Maurice Suh also issued a statement saying although this is a significant step in the right direction, DFS looks forward to continuing to press its claims against GIAA and Lotte to seek redress for its misconduct and the considerable damage done."

Meanwhile, the court wrote that it was in the public interest for Lotte to remain as the retail operator until a new concessionaire is procured.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Wutip's closest approach expected on midnight Saturday

    Wutip's closest approach expected on midnight Saturday

    The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office continues to closely monitor Typhoon Wutip as it moves toward the Marianas. The onset of damaging winds of 35-45 mph with possible gusts up to 60 mph are expected as early as Saturday morningMore >>
    The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office continues to closely monitor Typhoon Wutip as it moves toward the Marianas. The onset of damaging winds of 35-45 mph with possible gusts up to 60 mph are expected as early as Saturday morningMore >>
  • All Public Schools, GovGuam to Close by 1 p.m. Friday

    All Public Schools, GovGuam to Close by 1 p.m. Friday

    Acting Governor Joshua F. Tenorio, in consultation with Guam Homeland Security/Office of Civil Defense, the National Weather Service and the Guam Department of Education, has ordered that non-emergency Government of Guam services end at 1 p.m. Friday, FebMore >>
    Acting Governor Joshua F. Tenorio, in consultation with Guam Homeland Security/Office of Civil Defense, the National Weather Service and the Guam Department of Education, has ordered that non-emergency Government of Guam services end at 1 p.m. Friday, FebMore >>
  • GPD finds Finata Futuk Ludwig, wanted for domestic violence complaint

    GPD finds Finata Futuk Ludwig, wanted for domestic violence complaint

    A 34-year-old man wanted by Guam Police is captured in Hagatna. GPD spokesperson Sgt. Paul Tapao says their Domestic Assault Response Team along with Hagåtña Precinct Command Officers found Finata Futuk Ludwig. Authorities say Ludwig was wantMore >>
    A 34-year-old man wanted by Guam Police is captured in Hagatna. GPD spokesperson Sgt. Paul Tapao says their Domestic Assault Response Team along with Hagåtña Precinct Command Officers found Finata Futuk Ludwig. Authorities say Ludwig was wantMore >>
Powered by Frankly