Accusers file civil lawsuit against Archbishop Apuron, Father Br - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Accusers file civil lawsuit against Archbishop Apuron, Father Brouillard

Posted: Updated:

While the local archdiocese got the good news about its new shepherd, it also got some bad news that's it being taken to court for a second time. It's a first for Guam...and likely not the last.

Attorney David Lujan announced, "The lawsuits will cause the church to remove the cancer caused by these pedophile priests and restore the Catholic Church to its rightful glory." On Tuesday, Roland Sondia, Roy Quintanilla, Walter Denton and Leo Tudela filed a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Agana, Archbishop Anthony Apuron, and former Guam priest Father Louis Brouillard. Each of the plaintiffs is represented by Lujan, who says he anticipates another dozen alleged victims to file suit in coming weeks.

The action was made possible through Bill 326 - signed into law last month - and lifts the civil statute of limitations for child sex abuse cases. The legislation wasn't well received by the Archdiocese of Agana, who predicted the unlimited financial liabilities would result in bankruptcy, school closures, and end vital community services.

"The lawsuits will not result in the destruction of the church," Lujan promised. After all, the church has outlived every empire and civil government known to man. The church will reform itself and become even greater."

The civil suit demands for jury trial of six and lists damages for child sexual abuse, negligence, negligent supervision, negligent hiring and retention, and breach of fiduciary duty/confidential relationship. It doesn't however, list how much relief plaintiffs are seeking in monetary damages.

As we reported, Sondia, Quintanilla and Denton allege they were molested by Apuron decades ago while serving as altar boys at Mount Carmel Church in Agat. At a public hearing in support of Bill 326, Tudela testified he was sexually abused by Father Brouillard who in a later interview with KUAM News confessed to molesting several boys while on Guam. He has since moved to Minnesota but continues to receive monthly stipends from the Archdiocese of Agana.

The civil suit follows a defamation suit also against the Archdiocese of Agana and Apuron.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>
  • Kino Keeler charged with rape

    Kino Keeler charged with rape

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>
  • Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
Powered by Frankly