Record of Decision Signed - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Record of Decision Signed

Posted: Updated:

It is official after years of public scoping meetings and roundtable discussions, the military buildup is moving forward.  The Navy today signed off on the Record of Decision for the Guam Military Relocation. According to a press release Governor Eddie Calvo will be receiving a briefing on Monday from the Joint Guam Program Office. The signed Record of Decision begins the process of an $8 billion investment on Guam starting with the infrastructure needed to support this renewed focus on the region.

The final document stays true to the four pillars that Governor Calvo and then-Under Secretary of the Navy Robert Work agreed to in 2011. The housing area and training range will stay within the military’s existing footprint. The Decision includes: 

-The primary base and cantonment area: Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station Guam in Finegayan. 
-Family housing: Andersen Air Force Base. 
-Live-fire training range complex: Northwest Field on Andersen Air Force Base; there also will be a hand grenade range at Andersen South.

 “This buildup 2 has given us time to understand better what we need to do to strengthen our economy so we don’t see a huge rise with the buildup, and then plummet once it’s completed,” said Governor Calvo. “Also, the downsize in the buildup numbers and extended time frame of 13 years, as opposed to the 7 years we were looking at before, help to ensure a smoother transition of Marines into our island community," he added.

The Record of Decision will be available at: http://guambuildupeis.us. Copies also will be made available at the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Library in the University of Guam.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>
  • Kino Keeler charged with rape

    Kino Keeler charged with rape

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>
  • Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
Powered by Frankly