Port enforcing tighter security after breach - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Port enforcing tighter security after breach

Posted: Updated:

While it's not the first time it's happened, the Port Authority of Guam is enforcing stricter protocol following a security breach in the Port yard late last month. The matter is considered so serious that management is calling for administrative action for anyone who doesn't follow proper procedure.

It's considered one of 16 strategic ports in the United States, which is why it's even more critical that proper security procedures are followed at the Port Authority of Guam. "At the end of the day it's about safety and more importantly it's about security," said Port Authority general manager Joanne Brown. About two weeks ago, a security breach occurred at the Port that resulted in a lockdown of the Port yard.  "My understanding is essentially two Customs officers had driven Senator (Tom) Ada to the mobile screening machine that we purchased for Customs under our port security grant, and unfortunately because they didn't provide adequate notice to the port and go through the proper approval process for Senator Ada's presence here in the Port yard, that's what led to the breach of security and the lockdown of the Port yard until it was investigated and cleared by Port Police," she stated.

Senator Ada had told KUAM News he did not believe he breached security as he was accompanied by two Customs officers in an official vehicle. Ada is the oversight chairman on transportation, which includes the Port. "But again, that does require notification to Port Police, approval by Port Police and proper badging to be provided to that individual or individuals to enter the yard," Brown clarified. She says the incident is being taken seriously because of possible consequences such as penalties or financial fines for not meeting maritime security requirements.

"And we are closely regulated by the US Coast Guard and this is something they monitor, and I did have to relay this have to relay this information to Captain (James) Pruett, who is the Captain of the Port last week when this incident happened, and certainly this matter I'm sure is up for review with them," said the GM. Brown continued to say that the Coast Guard has since relayed they did not have an issue as far as violations in their jurisdiction. She does add the Port still has its security process in place that needs to be followed.

Meanwhile, the armed security guard who allowed the customs vehicle to entire the yard has since resigned. "I also had to send a memorandum to our police chief to provide to all our Port Police officers and our armed security guards, refreshing them on what the protocol requirements are and unfortunately if they're not followed there will be consequences to that," said Brown.

She has even written to Customs director Pedro Leon Guerrero requesting he take appropriate administration action with regards to the Customs officers involved along with reminding them of proper protocols and mandate security requirements. "Customs also should know better because they're free to come into the port to do any investigative work and inspection work that they do in their day-to-day operations, however that does not grant them any authority to bring any unauthorized individuals into the Port of Guam," she said.

KUAM News has yet to receive a response from Customs, but in a letter to the Port, Leon Guerrero says, "I too agree with the importance of security at this port of entry and its relevance to Customs enforcement on Guam." 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly