More details revealed about prison break - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

More details revealed about prison break

Posted: Updated:

It was on Tuesday two prison guards were terminated and five others suspended in connection to the prison break earlier this year. More information has surfaced as to how detainee Meisy Aliwis was on the run for days before prison officials even took notice.

It was at the height of Typhoon Dolphin when detainee Aliwis made his great escape. According to documents KUAM News has obtained related to the investigation, parts of the prison were left in the dark when the power went out. Although interviews with the guards on-duty state the generators ran out of diesel, Department of Corrections deputy director Carla Borja assures otherwise - that during the power outage, three of the prison's four generators went down because of technical issues.

Borja said, "The generator was not operable at the time of the escape and that's part of the mitigating circumstances that the internal affairs unit was looking into, so no, the generator was not on during Condition of Readiness 1, but we did have the emergency lights running."

As we've been reporting, Aliwis escaped early Saturday morning but wasn't discovered missing for days. Upon capture, he detailed to investigators just how he did it - through an unsecured laundry room and up and over fences lined with barbed wire.

According to the investigation, prison guards and even the acting warden conducted headcounts of Post 18 through the storm and the morning after. What's most evident however is that each guard has their own way of conducting headcounts. "In the future, should all the staff follow the proper policies and protocol in regards to headcounts and to ensuring that all the detainees and inmates are in their appropriate housing areas this will not happen again," she added.

The investigation findings resulted in the termination of two prison guards, five suspensions, and one officer resigning from the department. According to Borja, the investigation revealed adverse action wasn't necessary against the acting warden. "When the investigation continued all the staff and detainees from Post 18 were interviewed and from those interviews it was determined that the acting warden was cleared of any wrongdoing. I can't go into further detail of that until the 20 days has passed for the possible appeal of these adverse actions," she stated.

Meanwhile, with Chan-Hom brewing and expected to make its closest approach this weekend, Borja says DepCor is making the necessary preparations, including fueling the generators and staffing the prison accordingly. Borja said, "We are looking at everything now given what we've learned in the past and with the policies on headcount have already changed so the acting warden is making sure that everyone who conducts headcounts that there's going to be checks and balances, so that we are assured that all the inmates and detainees have been accounted for. From clipboard to body name to actual person and enough person are on staff during the headcount to make sure that everyone is in fact accounted for."

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Stolen medical supply van found in Dededo

    Stolen medical supply van found in Dededo

    Many thanks being given by the Guam Medical Association and Dr. Tom Shieh after their GMA van is found overnight. The physician posted on his Facebook page – "A miracle! Our GMA van was found at 1:30 am on the back side of a two story commercial buiMore >>
    Many thanks being given by the Guam Medical Association and Dr. Tom Shieh after their GMA van is found overnight. The physician posted on his Facebook page – "A miracle! Our GMA van was found at 1:30 am on the back side of a two story commercial buiMore >>
  • Man killed in Yigo crash identified as Nathan Figir

    Man killed in Yigo crash identified as Nathan Figir

    Family and friends identify the 21 year old man killed in Sunday's auto-bus crash in Yigo as Nathan Figir. Many of them taking to social media sharing their condolences and messages of how they are going to miss their friend and brother... The tragic crasMore >>
    Family and friends identify the 21 year old man killed in Sunday's auto-bus crash in Yigo as Nathan Figir. Many of them taking to social media sharing their condolences and messages of how they are going to miss their friend and brother... The tragic crasMore >>
  • Weather postpones annual Thanksgiving Day luncheon

    Weather postpones annual Thanksgiving Day luncheon

    The Salvation Army says due to the weather situation, their annual Thanksgiving Day Luncheon at Chamorro Village has been postponed. The tentative date for the event to feed the island's homeless is this Sunday from 9am-12pm at the Salvation Army's headquMore >>
    The Salvation Army says due to the weather situation, their annual Thanksgiving Day Luncheon at Chamorro Village has been postponed. The tentative date for the event to feed the island's homeless is this Sunday from 9am-12pm at the Salvation Army's headquMore >>
Powered by Frankly