Father & son testify against fellow bank robbery defendant - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Father & son testify against fellow bank robbery defendant

Posted: Updated:
A single defendant stands trial for last year's Bank of Guam robbery. It's a strange twist of events as already one man is behind bars serving time for the crime. Two men - a father and son - who've recently come forward confessing to the crime take the stand against a third defendant - Edward Baza, Jr., who they allege conspired with them to rob the Yigo bank and was the gunman in the heist.

They could've got away with it.  "I was just trying to get me the best deal possible for my family. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life or get out when my youngest daughter's an adult. Plus, I don't know why he would want the glory of robbing the bank," maintained Irvin White III. And he appears to be getting a sweet deal. Following his arrest for the Days Inn robbery in January, he confessed to the Bank of Guam robbery as well as an unrelated burglary. The result was a global plea deal with the government for all three crimes.

The deal outlines a 7.5-year sentence instead of the 30 years he faces, in exchange for testifying against his co-defendants.

As White pieced together that February morning in court today, he states Jathan Tedtaotao, the first man to confess to the bank robbery, is innocent. "He's only 18. He got sentenced to 21 years. That's not right," he said. "I'm not saying nobody did their job, but it kind of made me feel guilty, too."

Instead, White implicates his father Jackery White as the getaway driver and Edward Baza, Jr. as the gunman.

White showed the court today the fluorescent yellow shirt he wore, the black mask, and the backpack he used to collect the $11,000 from teller drawers.

According to Jackery White who also testified today, he met with Baza a week before the heist to plan it. Jackery White has a similar plea deal with the government outlining a 7.5-year sentence for three crimes.

Jackery detailed, "My job was to assist Mr. Baza, but I told him I don't have the guts to do it with him and I told him I know somebody else that would help him." When asked who the other person was, he replied. "The other person was my son, Irvin White."

But according to Public Defender James Mortland III, Baza couldn't have committed the crime. This because of Baza's experience with weapons as a member of the Guam Army National Guard.

Also on the stand was GPD Officer Tommy Benavente. Benavente was the first to interview Baza following allegations from the whites'. Benavente is also a member of the National Guard.

Mortland asked, "Are you aware that Mr. Baza was in the National Guard, which Benavente confirmed he was, also confirming that they had the same training.  Mortlan continued, "Have you seen the surveillance video? Do you notice he holds the gun to the side-the person in the video?" Benavente said he did.

"Would somebody trained in the National Guard hold the gun that way?" Mortland then asked, to which Benavente said, "No."

National Guard public affairs officer Major Josephine Blas confirms Edward Baza, Jr. was enlisted in the Guam Army National Guard from 2008 until 2013 when he was discharged.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Volunteers clean Tumon Bay of invasive algae

    Volunteers clean Tumon Bay of invasive algae

    The Guam Visitors Bureau, Guam Department of Agriculture and volunteers held a cleanup in the waters of Tumon Bay on Sunday morning. However, it was a different kind of clean up as volunteers were removing an invasiv

    More >>

    The Guam Visitors Bureau, Guam Department of Agriculture and volunteers held a cleanup in the waters of Tumon Bay on Sunday morning. However, it was a different kind of clean up as volunteers were removing an invasive algae known as Chaetomorpha. The algal bloom was noticed in Tumon after tropical storm Maria passed Guam. It had spread within 100 feet of the reef. “If we don’t

    More >>
  • GFD: Shark attack false alarm

    GFD: Shark attack false alarm

    Hikers at Pagat reported a human body being eaten by a shark, but it was a false alarm. KUAM News confirms hikers in the Pagat area phoned in a report of a person in the waters off Pagat, and that the person was being eaten by a shark. After US Coast Guard and Guam Fire Department units responded, it was confirmed the “body” was actually a deer carcass. Sharks had eaten the carcass and when units responded, only the deer head and a parts of the carcass remained.

    More >>

    Hikers at Pagat reported a human body being eaten by a shark, but it was a false alarm. KUAM News confirms hikers in the Pagat area phoned in a report of a person in the waters off Pagat, and that the person was being eaten by a shark. After US Coast Guard and Guam Fire Department units responded, it was confirmed the “body” was actually a deer carcass. Shark

    More >>
  • "Pay it forward" at new Hagatna thrift shop

    "Pay it forward" at new Hagatna thrift shop

    Paying it forward, a new thrift shop in Hagatna accepts not only new and used items, but also monetary donations. The Archdiocese of Agana's Ministry of the Homeless Thrift Store officially opened its doors this week. Residents can "pay it forward" by donMore >>
    Paying it forward, a new thrift shop in Hagatna accepts not only new and used items, but also monetary donations. The Archdiocese of Agana's Ministry of the Homeless Thrift Store officially opened its doors this week. Residents can "pay it forward" by donMore >>
Powered by Frankly