Does West Coast port shutdown affect Guam? - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Does West Coast port shutdown affect Guam?

Posted: Updated:
 by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - Earlier this month, operations at West Coast ports were temporarily shutdown due to labor negotiations and union slowdowns. Should we be worried here at home?

"I think overall, I understand the concern, because everyone is hearing about the workers labor strike and happening over on the west coast and wondering how that's going to impact Guam cargo," said Port Authority of Guam general manager Joanne Brown. She says she is aware of the situation occurring at the West Coast ports, but Guam need not worry.

"Not overall, there might be delays from other jurisdictions getting to the west coast if things are being brought there to be shipped over to Guam, but in terms of Guam and Hawaii we do have an exemption, the military has an exemption and we're very fortunate certainly because of where we're located," she added.

And while Brown's statement provides some sort of relief, some delay in shipment is expected for the island. Matson's general manager for Guam and Micronesia region Bernie Valencia tells KUAM News that the delay is not a result of the labor dispute, but rather damage to Matson's Maunawili ship following a transpacific storm on its way from China to Long Beach, California. Matson is the largest US carrier coming into Guam.

Said Brown, "Of course because we don't have the vessel arriving next week, we're going to practically going to have double up the following week to accommodate the vessel that is coming in with the additional cargo. I think we're anticipating over 900 units that will be on board so we're going to have work twice as hard two weeks from now but overall in terms of cargo coming in and any major concern the public should have at this point, we're not there."

Valencia tells KUAM News repairs were expected to take only five days but instead will now take 10 to 14 days. She says Matson's priority is to bring its vessels back on schedule as quickly as possible and recover from the delays. While a Vessell will be arriving today, the next shipment originally set to arrive on February 24 has been delayed until March 4," noting, "But I hope it makes everyone more aware of how critical it is and how important it is to ensure we have these commodities shipped to Guam and that the port is geared up to accommodate bringing those items in and out of the community."

And while the situation doesn't necessarily warrant residents having to stock up massively on goods, Brown does note that certain perishable items are also flown in and two separate vessels are expected next week from Asia. Valencia in the meantime says that while Guam does has an ample supply of dry goods, some produce is likely to be the most impacted. Valencia adds Matson activated a reserve ship and also used other vessels in its system to bring freight to Honolulu connecting with the MV Maunalei which arrives on March 4. We should further note that Valencia says Matson has been a reliable carrier, as the last time Matson missed a weekly sailing to the Guam region was over two decades ago back in 1991.

She says Matson is working closely with customers to reduce the impact of the delay. 
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly