Ebola drill held at American Medical Center - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Ebola drill held at American Medical Center

Posted: Updated:
 by Krystal Paco

Guam - Not everyone is convinced Guam is Ebola-ready, including the Guam Medical Association.

GMA member Dr. Vince Akimoto says the American Medical Center was forced to improvise during a drill for a suspected Ebola case on Sunday in which a Japanese man had returned from a trip to Western Africa and traveled to Guam with his family. As part of the exercise, the clinic called 911 only to find dispatch didn't have all the information to properly handle the call.

"Our ability to get these people to a hospital was thwarted by the fact that the GMH emergency room was not ready. According to homeland security there was supposed to be agreements with Naval Hospital to accept. As of yesterday we did not hear from the GMH doctors that that was in place. So when we discussed this with GFD and Public Health, apparently they're trying to make those arrangements but yesterday they were not in place," he told KUAM News.

Fortunately, it was only a drill. The GMA asks more cooperation from Public Health and notes that clinic staff had to use trash bags duct taped to themselves because they didn't have the right gear.
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly