Witnesses walk away, despite contempt of court charges - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Witnesses walk away, despite contempt of court charges

Posted: Updated:
 by Krystal Paco

Guam - Chad DeSoto may be locked up for the rest of his life convicted for the tragedy in Tumon last year, but will his loved ones serve jail time too?

The DeSoto trial may be over but the court addresses charges against DeSoto's cousin and girlfriend following a discovery of prison phone records showing the two failed to take the judge's orders seriously.

No jail time. No fines. And no community service. This from Judge Anita Sukola this morning who showed mercy on Michelle Fatovic and Reanne Acasio. Both women appeared before Sukola this morning for contempt of court charges.

Department of Corrections phone records showed the two communicated with defendant Chad DeSoto despite court orders not to do so because both served as witnesses in the DeSoto trial over the summer months.

"You are lucky. I could've locked you up. But because of the reasons that I so noted and because of your willingness to make this admission and take responsibility for it the court is going to waive the sixty days," she said.

Fatovic, who is first cousins with DeSoto and Acasio, who is currently in a dating relationship with DeSoto, showed the court remorse, lending to Sukola's leniency.

"I would personally just like to apologize. It was not my intention to disobey you in any way or to jeopardize the case in any capacity," she said. "I would also like to personally apologize. I also had no intention of jeopardizing the case. Its just been really hard since this trial has kept me away from my family and friends and pretty much Chad is the only one giving me emotional support through it all and I'm very sorry."

In addition, the court considered other factors in today's order.

Attorney John Terlaje who represents Fatovic and Acasio stated today that DeSoto initiated all of the phone calls.

"Even upon reviewing the tape, every single one of them all mention to Chad 'we're not supposed to talk about the case.' The majority of the conversations were pretty of personal nature as opposed to discussing the facts or the nature of the trial," he said. "They understood not to talk about the case. If they misunderstood not to talk to Chad at all, that was their mistake. There was no intent to sway their testimony in any way or come up with different facts that weren't stated already."

Prosecution also agreed with today's ruling. Chief Deputy Attorney General Phil Tydingco said, "These weren't strangers called as witnesses and violated the court order. These are people who had strong emotional bonds to the defendant so we wanted to at least point that out."

Penalties for contempt of court charges include up to sixty days behind bars, a $500 fine, or both. Sukola acknowledged that Fatovic is a Guam resident and single mother for her four children while Acasio, who no longer resides in Guam, is only a teenager with plans to attend college in the states.

Although the two walk away scot-free, one more witness in the DeSoto trial also faces contempt of court charges.

DeSoto's mother, Rae is set to appear on November 18th. 
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly