DoD submits long-awaited master plan - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

DoD submits long-awaited master plan

Posted: Updated:
 by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - It's been considered a major roadblock but now appears to signal a major step forward in the military buildup. The master plan has finally been submitted by the Department of Defense.

It's been mentioned time and time again in discussion on the military buildup and it appears the Department of Defense has finally submitted its long awaited master plan. The governor's buildup office director Mark Calvo said, "The administration is aware of the Master Plan that was submitted recently by the Department of Defense and we're very happy as its one of the few requirements that remains for Congress to lift restrictions for funds for the buildup on Guam."

This master plan has been a major roadblock for the release of Government of Japan funds for the Marines relocation from Japan to Guam. The US Senate Armed Services Committee has repeatedly included provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act over the last several year that prohibit the use of those funds until the master plan was submitted. "So we hope that congress will now lighten up with restrictions and start funding military construction projects and infrastructure projects on Guam," he added.

In a statement from Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo, she states she has been briefed on the details of the master plan which satisfies requirements included in the annual defense authorization bill. Bordallo says she appreciates that it appears the total cost and timeline of the realignment that has been previously indicated remain consistent. DoD has indicated the master plan is not releasable at this time.

Calvo said, "We'd like to see it as well it has the details as far as where the cantonment and how it's going to look and the housing and all the other details for the Marine base on Guam."

Calvo says the total Government of Japan funds is estimated at about one billion dollars that has been available to the u-s treasury with only some of that already obligated for certain projects specifically approved by Congress. Bordallo meanwhile says she will continue to work with DoD to ensure they live up to their commitment of maintaining a net-negative footprint on Guam and on finding areas of cost-savings that would enhance the program overall. She adds the master plan will better inform congressional leaders as they move toward conference committee of the FY15 NDAA later this year. Calvo in the meantime says a coordinated federal response will then be delivered by the federal government on or about the time the final SEIS and the Record of Decision is issued early next year. In addition to DoD's deputy secretary Robert Work set to visit Guam next week, this master plan is a considered a positive step in the buildup process. 
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Suspects caught on video during Maite burglary

    Suspects caught on video during Maite burglary

    Recognize the three suspects captured in this video surveillance? Police responded to a home invasion and a burglary on E.T. Calvo Way in Maite around 2:20am on Sunday.

    More >>

    Recognize the three suspects captured in this video surveillance? Police responded to a home invasion and a burglary on E.T. Calvo Way in Maite around 2:20am on Sunday.

    More >>
  • What the federal government shutdown means for Guam

    What the federal government shutdown means for Guam

    Federal and military officials are providing guidance on how the federal government shutdown will impact operations in Guam. According to the Department of Defense the shutdown will affect operating status of quality of life and family readiness programs. All Andersen Air Force Base federal civilian employees have been invited to attend a town hall meeting at 9 o’clock in the morning on Monday, January 22nd at the base theater.  Base leadership will be addressing question...More >>
    Federal and military officials are providing guidance on how the federal government shutdown will impact operations in Guam. According to the Department of Defense the shutdown will affect operating status of quality of life and family readiness programs. All Andersen Air Force Base federal civilian employees have been invited to attend a town hall meeting at 9 o’clock in the morning on Monday, January 22nd at the base theater.  Base leadership will be addressing question...More >>
  • Prison upgrades in the works

    Prison upgrades in the works

    Progress at the prison, as they continue to deal with overcrowding. DepCor Director Kate Baltazar says upgrades are in the works. They just received their electronic locking mechanisms and doors, which are in the process of being installed. She adds they haven't used one of the four dome units for some time, but new roofing is going up so that all the units there can be used for the prison population. "We are still overcrowded but on the average we are seeing some decrease in th...More >>
    Progress at the prison, as they continue to deal with overcrowding. DepCor Director Kate Baltazar says upgrades are in the works. They just received their electronic locking mechanisms and doors, which are in the process of being installed. She adds they haven't used one of the four dome units for some time, but new roofing is going up so that all the units there can be used for the prison population. "We are still overcrowded but on the average we are seeing some decrease in th...More >>
Powered by Frankly