Motions to release Russian hacker denied - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Motions to release Russian hacker denied

Posted: Updated:
 by Sabrina Salas Matanane

Guam - District Court of Guam Chief Judge Frances Tydingco Gatewood denied both motions filed by Roman Seleznev's legal team. The accused Russian hacker is being held at the Department of Corrections. He faces federal charges in the state of Washington on multiple counts of aggravated identity theft and bank fraud.  His local attorney Patrick Civille filed two motions in the District Court of Guam. The first being to have his client released and discharged because of what he alleges was "gross government misconduct". He accuses U.S. federal agents of violating international laws when they kidnapped Seleznev from the Maldives, placed him on a private jet and flew him to Guam earlier this month. He also claims that no U.S. court has jurisdiction can entertain the case because his client was unlawfully arrested. His motion however was denied as was his other motion to continue the hearing. Civille filed the motion to continue in order to receive more information from the federal government.

With both motions denied, Judge Gatewood set a hearing for this afternoon on the petition for removal to determine which will be held to determine whether in fact Seleznev is the same individual named in the indictment from Washington. If in fact he is he will be moved to that jurisdiction.

Outside the federal courthouse this morning attorney Civille said he was naturally disappointed with the Judge's decision but added that should his client be moved to Washington the question of jurisdiction can be argued there, "I think it's an issue that will continue to come up in this case," he told reporters.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Maravic David has argued that Seleznev was not kidnapped and that at the direction of the President or the U.S Attorney General the Federal Bureau of Investigations can arrest individuals for violating United States law, even if their actions contravene customary international law.

Seleznev is described by the U.S. Secret Service as one of the world’s most prolific traffickers of stolen information.  He is accused of hacking into computer servers worldwide to facilitate his multi-million dollar illegal operation which involved stolen credit card data.
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly