Was Chad DeSoto's rampage caused by a bitter breakup? - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Was Chad DeSoto's rampage caused by a bitter breakup?

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - Did a bitter breakup prompt Chad DeSoto to go on a rampage through Tumon last year?

Trial continued today with testimony from yet another expert witness who evaluated DeSoto just days following the Tumon tragedy.

Crazy? No. Depressed? Yes. This according to former prison clinical administrator Dr. Andrea Leitheiser who testified today on behalf of the prosecution.

 Chief Deputy Attorney General Phil Tydingco said, "And so to a reasonable clinical psychological certainty is it your diagnosis that the defendant suffered from a major depression, but there are no psychotic features?" Leitheiser responded, "Not during his presentation with me in prison no." 


Dr. Leitheiser did however note that in addition to evaluating DeSoto while he was detained at the prison, she received a call from DeSoto's girlfriend, Raenne Acasio.

"She believed that the patient being in custody was Primarily her fault. She wanted to be very much so of assistance to him, to talk to him, visit him in prison because she felt great remorse having broken up with him the evening before the event," she said. "Just basically that she felt very responsible for the event."

Dr. Leitheiser learned that Acasio had relocated to Utah during the course of their relationship and that DeSoto was in the process of getting rid of his belongings so he could join her in the States. This was the plan until Acasio reportedly broke things off on February 11, 2013 - the night before his rampage through Tumon.

"I believe she had a change in heart and wanted to discontinue their relationship," she said.

But as Dr. Leitheiser reported today, DeSoto denied the breakup prompted his violent crime.

"Mr. Desoto was not open to her having contact with him or having access to his mental records. 'What I did was not about us breaking up'," she said.

Earlier this month Acasio took the stand where she testified the couple talked for eight hours on Skype the night before the Tumon tragedy. She noted that DeSoto was crying, hallucinating, and appeared to be doing contortions on the screen. She never once mentioned that the two ended their relationship that night.

During Dr. Leitheiser's testimony, she explained that along with major depression, her report on DeSoto showed he suffered from generalized anxiety, cannabis and alcohol abuse and was nicotine dependent. She also noted that DeSoto struggled with coping with stressors, felt he had little support, and felt alienated from his family.

Earlier today, Guam Police Department investigator Ronell Rivera testified via Skype. He confirms that Acasio explicitly stated in a telephone interview that DeSoto had told her "you will forgive me for what I'm going to do tonight. You will find out tomorrow."

Utah FBI agent Blake Anderson also testified and confirmed DeSoto's last words to Acasio.

DepCor's Antone Aguon and Chris Donato as well as former GPD investigator Anthony Vince Camacho also provided testimonies relevant to PayTel records of conversations between DeSoto and Acasio.

Gilbert Quichocho, the father of Kaylani Quichocho, also testified to confirm his daughter is of Japanese descent. Kaylani Quichocho was the only local victim in the Tumon tragedy. His testimony correlates to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Martin Blinder's theory presented yesterday that DeSoto may have been overcome by nationalism and may have harbored negative feelings towards Japanese as a result of World War II. We should note, Dr. Leitheiser also testified that during her conversation with Acasio, Acasio revealed she was also of Japanese descent.

Closing arguments will resume on Tuesday afternoon. As for the possibility of additional charges including contempt of court and tampering with witness testimonies, Judge Anita Sukola noted these issues will be addressed after the jury returns with their verdict.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Fire evacuates 8 people from Mangilao home

    Fire evacuates 8 people from Mangilao home

    Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were able to get out of the home without injury. Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were ab...More >>
    Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were able to get out of the home without injury. Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were ab...More >>
  • Senators debate lifting business privilege tax

    Senators debate lifting business privilege tax

    Facing a substantial loss in tax revenue as a result of federal reforms, Senators held an oversight hearing to discuss lifting the more than 30-year exemption on business privilege tax on wholesalers, and other industries.

    More >>

    Facing a substantial loss in tax revenue as a result of federal reforms, Senators held an oversight hearing to discuss lifting the more than 30-year exemption on business privilege tax on wholesalers, and other industries.

    More >>
  • Man accused of touching 8-year-old

    Man accused of touching 8-year-old

    Not once, not twice, but on seven separate occasions he allegedly touched an 8-year-old girl. Now, 19-year-old Javin Ross Garrido faces multiple counts of first and second degree criminal sexual conduct charges, all as first degree felonies. The incidents typically took place when Garrido and the victim played video games, but were often interrupted by a family member entering the room. Court documents state he also state he showed the girl a pornographic video on his phone. When ...More >>
    Not once, not twice, but on seven separate occasions he allegedly touched an 8-year-old girl. Now, 19-year-old Javin Ross Garrido faces multiple counts of first and second degree criminal sexual conduct charges, all as first degree felonies. The incidents typically took place when Garrido and the victim played video games, but were often interrupted by a family member entering the room. Court documents state he also state he showed the girl a pornographic video on his phone. When ...More >>
Powered by Frankly