Men who responded after DeSoto attack take the stand - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Men who responded after DeSoto attack take the stand

Posted: Updated:
by Krystal Paco

Guam - It was just yesterday the court heard from the Japanese tourists who fell victim to Chad DeSoto and his rampage through Tumon sixteen months ago.   

Today the court hears more on that night, this time from the brave men who ran to the scene that they believed to be a car accident.   

Tony Richardson was on Guam last year as a member of the Australian Air Force and their participation in Cope North exercises held on Andersen Air Force Base.

The evening of February 12, 2013 however was his night off.

As he took to the stand this morning, he recalls eating dinner with friends before the group made their way by foot towards the Tagada Amusement Park.

"As we were heading up towards the bumper cars, we could hear a car accelerating at a high speed coming up from behind us. We witnessed it accelerating at a high speed on the footpath," he recalled.

And although he lost sight of the vehicle, he believed what happened next was a car accident.

"We heard it hit something. We heard someone scream. The moment I had heard the scream, I ran across the road and came across the car that hit the ABC [Store]," he shared.

As he told the court today, he approached the car believing that the driver may have been hurt. Already on the scene, he saw another man trying to help the driver. That man was Nicholas Dizmang who also testified today. As part of the US Navy, Dizmang says he was on Guam that evening because his ship had docked earlier that day.

He said, "I went to open the door. It was sort of jammed a little bit and I tried a second time and it opened up. The engine was ongoing loudly. The driver then turned and reached down he grabbed two large knives he raised them up and jumped out of the car and turned the knives toward me."

As Dizmang screamed to alert others to run, both he and Richardson saw DeSoto attack his first victim.

Richardson said, "He came up from behind the grandmother he stopped brought his hands above his head and plunged the knife in the back of the elderly lady at that point and I started looking for a weapon. I wanted to stop this man. I tried to pick up a rubbish bin to throw it but I couldn't."

Both men ran for their lives but came back to aid the injured. Also on the scene was Australian Air Force's Paul Barak.

Barak choked up on the stand this afternoon as he described the screaming baby, saying, "My focus was straight away I could see a wound on the baby's face. I just immediately went to take my shirt off to stop that bleeding."

DeSoto is charged with multiple counts of aggravated murder and attempted murder after he drove his car down a Tumon sidewalk before crashing into the ABC Store, darting out of the car, and stabbing people at random leaving three dead and several others injured.

He has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.

Trial will continue Wednesday.
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly