Gaming tax revenues not as anticipated - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Gaming tax revenues not as anticipated

Posted: Updated:
by Jolene Toves

Guam - Hopes for the revenues generated from the gaming tax law are not stacking up.

There were big expectations for the revenues generated from the gaming tax but since the first check was cut in October of last year Guam Memorial Hospital administrator Joseph Verga says they have only received a total of $373,000. "The revenues have not been coming in regularly in any scheduled time the last time we received any revenue from the bill was May 29th," he said. "So we received the $58,000 installation prior to that we have not received any revenues I believe since February."

Signed in Kuly 2013, Public Law 32-60 taxes gaming devices that were the subject of a five year old lawsuit and gaming activities, and diverts the revenue to the Guam Memorial Hospital to establish an urgent healthcare center. According to Verga however the amount of money they've received thus far isn't enough, as he said, "And the revenues have not produced the level of revenue that was initially anticipated we had envision having a lot more money in the account to set up urgent care right now then we do."

Verga has sought assistance from committee chair on health Senator Dennis Rodriguez, Jr who he says has assured him that he is working to remedy the situation, saying, "We haven't used any of the revenues yet as you know the revenues that we have received are all going to urgent care but since urgent care is not ready to be operational yet we are working on setting up urgent care."

Verga anticipates the Urgent Care Center will be operational in the fall and that the funds will be used to recruit the necessary staff and clinicians to work in the facility. 
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly