Navy extends public comment period for Draft SEIS - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Navy extends public comment period for Draft SEIS

Posted: Updated:
by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - Following requests from island leaders, the Department of Navy has decided to extend the public comment period for the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement.

The original deadline was set for June 17th and now has been extended an additional 15 days to July 2nd.

Joint Guam Program Office deputy director Major Darren Alvarez says the Navy received requests from governor Eddie Calvo, the Guam Legislature and members from the Government of Guam for the extension. He says federal law actually requires 45 days for the nepa and public comment period process. He adds the original june 17 deadline had already provided an additional 15 days of what is required by law adding this new deadline will provide 30 days total extra days.

It was just last month when a series of public meetings were held throughout the island on the Draft SEIS. JGPO director Joe Ludovici meanwhile says although there is some risk to the program schedule , the Navy recognizes the importance of public input and have decided it necessary to extend the comment period. The final EIS was due out at the beginning of the 2015 with the record of decision to follow shortly thereafter.

Meanwhile it was just last week when the Governor's Buildup Office director Mark Calvo wrote to the Legislature asking to reschedule a series of information briefings that are currently ongoing with the Government of Guam agencies on the impact the military buildup would have on their agencies. The buildup office was collecting agency draft inputs and comments on the Draft SEIS and reviewing them to ensure that agency assessments on the impacts indicated in the study are accurate. They Buildup Office is preparing to submit final agency comments to the governor on June 12 and had requested for the hearings to take place the following day.

For more information, GuamBuildupEIS.us.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
  • $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
  • Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
Powered by Frankly