Complaint from victim forces AG to issue public apology - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Complaint from victim forces AG to issue public apology

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - A complaint made to the AG's Office prompts a public apology.

In a letter from Geraldine Castillo dated today, she addresses her disappointment in the OAG and how they handled her case. Last august, a drunk driver struck Castillo's car head on, nearly killing her. Castillo was upset to learn the defendant was allowed to leave island for military orders as well as had the felony charge reduced to a misdemeanor. In a meeting with assistant AG Charles Kinnunen, Castillo alleges he yelled at her and minimized her personal injuries.

Chief prosecutor Basil O'Mallan and Kinnunen address the matter in a press conference today.

"On behalf of the office of the attorney general and Attorney General Rapadas we would like to apologize to the victim again. We make mistakes. We're human. We try to minimize those mistakes and in this particular case, yelling at a victim was wrong," he said. "She's a victim and she deserves to be treated like a victim."

The AG's Office has since re-assigned the case to another prosecutor and withdrew the plea offer it previously made with the defendant.

Castillo tells KUAM this afternoon that although she appreciates their prompt response, she was not expecting that "they simply isolate my case, apologize, and improve their steps on this case alone."

She adds that she made her letter public to hold the OAG's accountable for future cases and treat victims with sensitivity.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Deal possible for man implicated in largest cocaine bust

    Deal possible for man implicated in largest cocaine bust

    One of the suspects accused in GPD's largest cocaine bust ever could strike a deal with the government Defense attorney for Jonathan Manglona told the court today they have accepted an offer, but are awaiting formal documents. In May, a police investigatiMore >>
    One of the suspects accused in GPD's largest cocaine bust ever could strike a deal with the government Defense attorney for Jonathan Manglona told the court today they have accepted an offer, but are awaiting formal documents. In May, a police investigatiMore >>
  • Feds sending $1.6M to CNMI for typhoon relief

    Feds sending $1.6M to CNMI for typhoon relief

    Sending more help post Super Typhoon Yutu, the Department of the Interior announced more than $1.6 million in federal funds will be used to assist with typhoon recovery efforts in the CNMI. Interior will provide $1 million in Capital Improvement Program fMore >>
    Sending more help post Super Typhoon Yutu, the Department of the Interior announced more than $1.6 million in federal funds will be used to assist with typhoon recovery efforts in the CNMI. Interior will provide $1 million in Capital Improvement Program fMore >>
  • Governor declares Thursday as America Recycles Day

    Governor declares Thursday as America Recycles Day

    Governor Eddie Calvo, Guam EPA and reps from recycling companies gathered at Adelup today as Calvo signed a proclamation declaring today America Recycles Day. Guam's recycle rate of 39% is several points above the national average. Calvo touted his adminiMore >>
    Governor Eddie Calvo, Guam EPA and reps from recycling companies gathered at Adelup today as Calvo signed a proclamation declaring today America Recycles Day. Guam's recycle rate of 39% is several points above the national average. Calvo touted his adminiMore >>
Powered by Frankly