Blame game over missing mail heats up - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Blame game over missing mail heats up

Posted: Updated:
by Krystal Paco

Guam - The blame game heats up as island leaders are looking to what started the postal nightmare weeks ago when residents and businesses began complaining they weren't receiving mail.

After weeks of misplaced mail, approximately 19,000 residents received the following message in their mailbox on Monday: "In bold print, I'll read it to you," noted Carl Dominguez, director of the Department of Public Works, "the complete and correct address for your location as provided by the Guam Department of Public Works is listed below."

As a recipient of this very message, Dominguez saw his village mailing address change from Piti to Santa Rita.

As he spoke before village mayors this morning, he admitted he's not sure what the US Postal Service is referring to.

"So my position this morning is if you show it to me, if DPW in the past somehow sent them erroneous information then I'll bite my lower lip and say it looks like we messed up. But if you can't produce it, I think we need to retract this sentence," he said.

But there was no one to answer today's questions as USPS officer in charge Christopher Warren was a no-show.

MCOG executive director Angel Sablan said, "I think there's something going on here - more than meets the eye."

While frustrations grow, mail continues to go undelivered.

From medicines to bank statements, Sinajana mayor Robert Hoffman understands the dilemma this puts thousands of Guam residents in. "It's costing the consumer and this has got to stop. I really I feel for the 44,000 residents of Dededo. I mean, not every village has home delivery we understand that but for those - it does affect 19,000 customers and a lot more businesses than we could imagine," he said.

But who's really to blame? Yona mayor Ken Jo Ada says he questions the constitutionality of the ordeal and encourages that GovGuam speak up. "I think us as a government should actually reach out to these people and tell them that they need to send a representative here to this island to fully address this - the person responsible or the postmaster himself - somebody," he said.

According to a release from the US Postal Service last week, notices were sent out on Monday following the implementation of high speed computer technology that sorts mail automatically and rejects those not inputted in the USPS database. In order to receive your mail, USPS recommends you use the addresses provided to you.

As we reported yesterday, as a result of the changes local postal employees are using their knowledge to route mail as necessary.
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>
  • Kino Keeler charged with rape

    Kino Keeler charged with rape

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>
  • Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
Powered by Frankly