Another DepCor inmate arrested for assault - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Another DepCor inmate arrested for assault

Posted: Updated:
by Krystal Paco

Guam - The plot thickens at the Department of Corrections as another inmate is arrested this afternoon.

It was on Tuesday inmate Alex Castro was arrested for aggravated assault for allegedly punching another inmate repeatedly in the face and body.

That inmate however was arrested today as further investigation revealed he allegedly was just as much involved in the fight in DOC's halfway house.

"Paco Bermudes was arrested also for an assault charge," he said. "After further interviews with other inmates at the halfway house it was determined that it was mutual combat between two. A medical assessment was also made of Alex Castro and was determined that he did receive an injury inside his mouth. He was assessed by the medical director."

As we previously reported, Castro's arrest earlier this week led to the discovery that he was improperly placed in the halfway house. The halfway house is intended for inmates who have completed most of their period of incarceration. Castro however, has only served five months of his total five year sentence.

This news prompted an internal affairs investigation at DepCor and concurrently put the DepCor warden and an officer two on administrative leave.

KUAM sources confirm the two are under investigation for allegedly accepting bribes.

With the plot unfolding, the Attorney General's Office chimes in.

In a release, the OAG expresses its  disappointment to hear that after all the work put in from the Guam Police Department, the superior court, and the OAG, that DepCor would house a violent person like Castro who has training in mixed martial arts in the halfway house.

"We're working closely with the Attorney General's Office. We're in close communication with them in regards to both cases. So at no point are we being laxed on these cases," he said.
  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Fire evacuates 8 people from Mangilao home

    Fire evacuates 8 people from Mangilao home

    Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were able to get out of the home without injury. Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were ab...More >>
    Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were able to get out of the home without injury. Eight people had to be evacuated after a structure fire in Mangilao. It happened around 5pm today on Roberto Street. Units are working to put out the fire to a wood and tin extension of a concrete home. The tenants were ab...More >>
  • Senators debate lifting business privilege tax

    Senators debate lifting business privilege tax

    Facing a substantial loss in tax revenue as a result of federal reforms, Senators held an oversight hearing to discuss lifting the more than 30-year exemption on business privilege tax on wholesalers, and other industries.

    More >>

    Facing a substantial loss in tax revenue as a result of federal reforms, Senators held an oversight hearing to discuss lifting the more than 30-year exemption on business privilege tax on wholesalers, and other industries.

    More >>
  • Man accused of touching 8-year-old

    Man accused of touching 8-year-old

    Not once, not twice, but on seven separate occasions he allegedly touched an 8-year-old girl. Now, 19-year-old Javin Ross Garrido faces multiple counts of first and second degree criminal sexual conduct charges, all as first degree felonies. The incidents typically took place when Garrido and the victim played video games, but were often interrupted by a family member entering the room. Court documents state he also state he showed the girl a pornographic video on his phone. When ...More >>
    Not once, not twice, but on seven separate occasions he allegedly touched an 8-year-old girl. Now, 19-year-old Javin Ross Garrido faces multiple counts of first and second degree criminal sexual conduct charges, all as first degree felonies. The incidents typically took place when Garrido and the victim played video games, but were often interrupted by a family member entering the room. Court documents state he also state he showed the girl a pornographic video on his phone. When ...More >>
Powered by Frankly