Raid and arrests thwart planned robbery - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Raid and arrests thwart planned robbery

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - The Criminal Justice Strike Force has reason to believe three arrests made on Friday night prevented a planned armed robbery and a homicide over the weekend.    

It was a busy weekend for local and federal investigators who uncovered a stolen rocket launcher off Swamp Road on Friday night.

"The Criminal Justice Strike Force received information about a rocket launcher possibly being out there in the community," said Guam Police Department spokesperson Officer AJ Balajadia.

As a result of the Dededo raid and three arrests made that night, Officer Balajadia says the community was spared other serious crimes over the weekend.

"The night of warrant, there was supposed to be an armed robbery committed at a game room located on Route 16. So that didn't happen because the team moved in and apprehended these individuals. They also had planned according to our information, to commit a homicide over the weekend. Of course that didn't happen because these individuals were taken into custody by our strike force," he said.

According to court documents, Donald Aldan fled into the nearby jungle but was quickly apprehended by officers. On him, Aldan was holding drug paraphernalia in his pockets, including a four-inch long cut plastic straw with crystalline residue inside. Aldan called this residue "keki" otherwise known as methamphetamine or Ice, which he says he received from Ivan Cabrera.

Cabrera was also found at the Dededo residence. On him, officers found a glass pipe with Ice residue and another pipe with marijuana. This on top of other drug paraphernalia and multiple types of small arms ammunition officers discovered at the scene.

Once apprehended, Cabrera agreed to lead officers to where he placed a "rocket launcher" after the attempted sale of the item failed to go through.

Court documents state the "trainer handling guided missile launcher" was stolen from Kunsan Air Base in Korea.

Because the launcher is only used for training purposes, it was concluded it would not explode, but could cause "significant damage" and was "capable of firing a projectile that could possibly be operational."

Aldan is being charged with possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance and also disclosed to officers that he had an outstanding warrant of arrest and failed to report to his parole officer. Cabrera is charged with distribution of a Scheduled II Controlled Substance, possession of Schedule II Controlled Substance and theft by receiving stolen property.

Johnny San Nicolas was also discovered at the Dededo residence and arrested on charges unrelated to the rocket launcher. San Nicolas is the suspect in a Tumon purse snatching last month and was held at the department of corrections on an outstanding child support bench warrant.

Meanwhile, the rocket launcher is now in the custody of U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigation.

"This case is ongoing. Other individuals may be brought into custody and charged in connection with these cases. 0235 we are working closely with OSI and also some federal charges may also be also pending in regards to that rocket launcher," he said.

There is no word how the rocket launcher ended up on Guam. Due to the ongoing investigation officials at Andesen Air Force Base were not able to comment. 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Schools conducting morning sweeps

    Schools conducting morning sweeps

    Guam schools are being put on alert. Guam Department of Education leaders instructed school administrators to conduct a sweep of their campuses before students and employees show up on Friday.  The notice coming out of Guam Homeland Security following a threat that targeted Guam High School Thursday afternoon. The threat forced an evacuation of the school and the surrounding area. Though local and military first responders found no threat at the campus, Guam Homeland officials a...More >>
    Guam schools are being put on alert. Guam Department of Education leaders instructed school administrators to conduct a sweep of their campuses before students and employees show up on Friday.  The notice coming out of Guam Homeland Security following a threat that targeted Guam High School Thursday afternoon. The threat forced an evacuation of the school and the surrounding area. Though local and military first responders found no threat at the campus, Guam Homeland officials a...More >>
  • Derrick Baza Hills back in court for theft

    Derrick Baza Hills back in court for theft

    Back in court - this time, for theft charges. A violation notice was filed in the District Court of Guam against Derrick Baza Hills. Back in December 2017, the former senatorial and Agat vice mayoral candidate reportedly stole less than $100 worth of items from the Navy Exchange. He already faces several other charges involving prescription drugs and theft in the local court. He'll make his first appearance in federal court on March 6.More >>
    Back in court - this time, for theft charges. A violation notice was filed in the District Court of Guam against Derrick Baza Hills. Back in December 2017, the former senatorial and Agat vice mayoral candidate reportedly stole less than $100 worth of items from the Navy Exchange. He already faces several other charges involving prescription drugs and theft in the local court. He'll make his first appearance in federal court on March 6.More >>
  • Dededo students march for world peace

    Dededo students march for world peace

    Rain or Shine, these Roadrunners want World Peace. Benavente Middle School hosted their 8th annual March for Peace Thursday morning. Students, along with Superintendent and members of the Board, marched to Maria Ulloa and Wettengel Elementary, with signs promoting peace. Principal Patrick Egrubay said, "Peace is something that each of us should strive for, especially more recently we know that there's tragedy that's going on across the country and around the world, we want our s...More >>
    Rain or Shine, these Roadrunners want World Peace. Benavente Middle School hosted their 8th annual March for Peace Thursday morning. Students, along with Superintendent and members of the Board, marched to Maria Ulloa and Wettengel Elementary, with signs promoting peace. Principal Patrick Egrubay said, "Peace is something that each of us should strive for, especially more recently we know that there's tragedy that's going on across the country and around the world, we want our s...More >>
Powered by Frankly