Tagachang Beach main pavilion deemed unsafe - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Tagachang Beach main pavilion deemed unsafe

Posted: Updated:

by Jolene Toves

Guam - Tagachang Beach main pavilion will soon be demolished. "The universe is a plain canvas and we are the painters" this is the message Yona mayor Ken Jo Ada stressed when he issued a challenge to our island's dignitaries to look inside and find the help they could give.

The pavilion is over four decades old and after years of neglect and disrepair a challenge issued to islands senators is finally being answered.

The Tagachang Beach pavilion has been deemed a danger to the health, safety and welfare of patrons, a danger the mayor has experienced for himself. He said, "Last year we had the Family Unity Day we were playing under there and because of the loud noises itself one of the small pieces of cement hit me on the head."

Meanwhile, Yona resident Norma Jean Cruz feels it is not just unsafe, as she said, "The place is like its neglected its not being upkept so our ancestors the Taotaomona they are kind of angry so they want the place fixed cause that place use to be so pristine no its it just looks like a jungle."

$25,000 from the General Fund to the Yona Mayor's Office for the demolition and disposal of the park's main pavilion. "So we got the three quotes and obviously we submitted it to Senator Frank Aguon's office and they were able to put it together and figure out what is the best route for us," she said.

Mayor Ada says his vision for the main pavilion is to replace it with a open beach court for sports activities - surrounded by smaller more manageable pavilions so that more families can make use of the beach grounds. Cruz shares what she thinks should be done with the park, saying, "The current state of Tagachang Beach its unsafe and the whole place should be renovated into like a cultural park."

Meanwhile Ada says he plans to reach out to the business community for their help in hopes that major corporations will sponsor the construction of the smaller pavilions.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly