Armed robber sentenced to 46 years behind bars - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Armed robber sentenced to 46 years behind bars

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - 25-year-old Anthony Leon Guerrero Campos will spend the next four decades behind bars for his role in two armed robberies.  If it were up to the prosecution, Anthony Campos would have been sentenced to the maximum 140 years behind bars for two armed robberies.

Campos was convicted of robbing four people at gunpoint with two other individuals in October of last year outside the Sinajana Payless and three days later robbing the cashier at the Route 8 Mini Mart in Barrigada.

In both crimes Campos was identified by the victims as the person who fired the weapon and robbed them.

Assistant Attorney General Gerald Henderson sought the maximum in hopes to send a strong message of deterrence.

Henderson argued that by imposing such a harsh sentence, the "court could be saving lives" referring to the defendant's record that includes a prior conviction in the CNMI for armed robbery.

Before making a decision, Superior Court Senior Pro-Tem Judge Richard Benson heard from two of Campos' victims.

Two Payless employees took the stand and recalled the horrific events of the robbery and shared how the incident has left them constantly fearing for their personal safety as well as that of their families and coworkers.

One of the victims told the court, "After the robbery I always have a nightmare and i always see his face in my nightmare."

Defense Attorney Brian Keggereis however asked the court for a merciful sentence of 25 years behind bars.

He said his client was a productive member of the community with a job and a family.

The defense argued that imposition of a life sentence would send the wrong message to criminals who want to commit armed robberies telling the court perpetrators may ask themselves "if these are the kinds of sentences we'll get, why leave survivors?"

Following a brief recess, the court sentenced Campos to 46 years behind bars and ordered that upon release and while on probation, the defendant stay away from the four victims and make no contact in person or through a third party.

We should note, restitution was not requested in the case. Following the sentencing the defense declined to comment while Henderson says the sentence was fair and reflective of justice as the victims came forward to testify.  

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Guam's chief medical examiner retiring at end of January

    Guam's chief medical examiner retiring at end of January

    25 years as Guam's doctor for the dead. Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola will retire at the end of January 2019 and move back home to the Philippines. In his honor, lawmakers presented him with a resolution early Monday. Senator James EspaldonMore >>
    25 years as Guam's doctor for the dead. Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Aurelio Espinola will retire at the end of January 2019 and move back home to the Philippines. In his honor, lawmakers presented him with a resolution early Monday. Senator James Espaldon More >>
  • UOG grads encouraged to find fighting spirit

    UOG grads encouraged to find fighting spirit

    257 graduates walk the stage during the University of Guam's Fanuchanan 2018 Commencement ceremony on Sunday. That's 199 undergraduates and 58 graduate students, each of whom was encouraged to find their fighting spirit. During his keynote address, humanMore >>
    257 graduates walk the stage during the University of Guam's Fanuchanan 2018 Commencement ceremony on Sunday. That's 199 undergraduates and 58 graduate students, each of whom was encouraged to find their fighting spirit. During his keynote address, human More >>
  • Man arrested for allegedly raping girl multiple times

    Man arrested for allegedly raping girl multiple times

    A 29-year-old man is accused of sexually assaulting a young girl known to him multiple times. Raimundo Satur Ludwig is charged with three counts of first degree sexual conduct. Court documents the child brought up the sexual attacks after showing up to scMore >>
    A 29-year-old man is accused of sexually assaulting a young girl known to him multiple times. Raimundo Satur Ludwig is charged with three counts of first degree sexual conduct. Court documents the child brought up the sexual attacks after showing up to scMore >>
Powered by Frankly