Sanctuary to close drug & alcohol program April 1 - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Sanctuary to close drug & alcohol program April 1

Posted: Updated:

by Mindy Aguon

Guam - The organization was founded in November 1971 and has grown into one of the region's leading non-profit human service providers.  After more than four decades, Sanctuary may be forced to close its doors leaving more than 250 adolescents without the very services they need.

"After March 31, we will not be accepting any new clients in our Drug & Alcohol Inpatient/Outpatient Program," explained executive director Millie Lujan. It's no April Fools joke - Sanctuary will close the program on April 1 because the money to provide the services has run out.

Lujan continued, "We have exhausted all measures and we can no longer continue footing the bill for the Government of Guam."

The region's only accredited facility that provides drug and alcohol treatment for adolescents has been filling the gaps in services because the government lacks both the resources and the expertise to provide the specialized services. Lujan says the cost has gone up over the years and the government hasn't committed to paying for the increased costs leaving the organization to seek alternative funding sources.

"We have had lunch plates. We have a car wash coming up. The staff went down in front of Bank of Hawaii to Fridays ago asking for donations with signs, save Sanctuary.  The staff did it on their own because they realized their jobs and livelihoods are on the line," she detailed.

Lujan sent a letter to Guam Behavioral Health and Wellness Center director Rey Vega informing him that they will stop services effective April 1 unless the government comes up with a solution - one, it's worth noting, that Sanctuary has been trying to get for the last six months. Without $550,000 to keep them running through the end of the fiscal year, Lujan says closure of more services and layoffs are inevitable.

"The likelihood is we will probably have to release them. We can't do anything. We don't have the resources to continue operating," said Lujan. "What's going to happen to the kids? At this point I don't know. It's sad because we know that if we can work with those kids while they are young, we can more than likely prevent them from becoming lifelong users of abusers."

Director Vega has said that the government is working with the organization to find a solution.  He has said the department cannot pay the invoices unless lawmakers appropriate additional funding to authorize it.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    IA underway after detainee released from prison,

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>

    An internal affairs investigation is underway at the prison after an inmate was accidentally released from their custody. Department of Corrections director Tony Lamorena says it happened over the weekend. He admits there was a miscommunication. Officials say the prison had received an order for inmate Ben Espinosa's release, but then got a commitment order for a separate charge. The special operations team was able to track him down without incident. Lamorena says they are looking ...

    More >>
  • Kino Keeler charged with rape

    Kino Keeler charged with rape

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>

    He was apparently drunk when he molested two women. 26-year-old Kino Keeler allegedly digitally penetrated a woman and raped her in a Tumon condo last year. According to court documents, she woke up to Keeler on top of her. 

    More >>
  • Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    Bordallo will seek ninth straight term as Guam delegate

    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
    It's official for our current delegate. Madeleine Bordallo has officially announced she is running again for Congressional Delegate. Joined by family and her campaign leaders, the Bordallo announced her candidacy at the Plaza De Espana. "I am humbled to announce my candidacy for the re-election to a ninth consecutive term as your delegate to Washington," she announced. "Guam needs a leader in Washington who can bring diverse coalitions together to pass important and me...More >>
Powered by Frankly