Democrats nominate Gutierrez/Aguon to run for Adelup - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Democrats nominate Gutierrez/Aguon to run for Adelup

Posted: Updated:

by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - During the Democratic Party of Guam meeting Thursday evening, the party nominated former governor Carl Gutierrez and Senator Frank Aguon Jr. to run for governor and lieutenant governor in the 2014 gubernatorial election.

According to newly elected party chairman Rory Respicio, because no one has officially declared a ticket for the gubernatorial race, the party decided to nominate a team itself.

It was last year when Respicio told KUAM that should no team come forward or declare a run for Adelup in the new year that the party would draft a ticket for the gubernatorial race.  

Respicio says the party will inform Gutierrez and Aguon of the nomination and leave it to them to make a decision. Gutierrez and Aguon were not in attendance at the party meeting held at the Sinajana Community Center. Respicio adds just because the party nominated a team, it does not prevent any other individual or team from running and should some other team step forward to run under the democrat banner, the party's action this evening will be negated.

"I think it makes sense simply because if you look at the last 2010 election and how the Gutierrez/Aguon came 487 votes shy of winning, and then there's this confirmed reporting of election irregularities, it makes perfect sense that we present a Gutierrez/Aguon ticket to be like rematch of the 2010 election," Respicio says.  "And not because Gutierrez/Aguon ticket lost because there was a dark cloud surrounding the entire election process. Whenever you have a situation where things are being challenged, the only solution is to have a rematch."

Gutierrez and Aguon have yet to answer our calls for comment.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    Outback Steakhouse staffers feed homeless in Dededo

    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
    On Monday our friends over at Outback Steakhouse volunteered their time and food to feed the homeless at the Dededo Mayor's Office. They grilled on site and fed over 70 individuals who came out to enjoy some good old fashioned barbecue, Outback style! Outback Steakhouse is closed temporarily for a major remodel and renovations. It is expected to re-open in early December. The renovation is part of their 20th Anniversary activities and while renovations are under way, the team have b...More >>
  • Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Mark Charfauros informed of slight delay in his trial

    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
    Will he make his comeback to the Guam Police Department? He'll need to have his case settled in the courts before the Civil Service Commission will entertain his termination appeal. Former police colonel Mark Charfauros appeared in court on Tuesday. There he was advised there would be a slight delay to his February trial. When asked if parties would reach a resolution instead of going to trial, defense attorney Randy Cunliffe stated "I doubt it." Trial is now scheduled ...More >>
  • Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    Chief judge dismisses case against GEB members

    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
    It's official. In an order issued this week, Chief Judge Frances Tydingco-Gatewood dismissed with prejudice the case against two Guam Education Board members in their individual capacities. They are Rosie Tainatongo and Jose Cruz, both of whom resolved their issues with Department of Education Superintendent Jon Fernandez. If you recall, Fernandez filed a $7 million lawsuit in the federal court after the board terminated his contract. No action was taken for the remaining GEB membe...More >>
Powered by Frankly