Guam - It's the final piece to complete the improvements at the Port Authority of Guam. Today the agency released the final request for proposal which includes an additional $30 million to renovate and improve the port's facilities. The final RFP represents the third and final phase of the agency's ongoing modernization effort.
As we've previously reported the port's first two phases are currently under construction which includes the expansion of the port's break bulk yard, storage facilities and office space upgrades. The third and final RFP released today includes a new 4.6 acre container yard, and a 3.7 acre gate complex to ultimately increase safety, security and overall freight efficiencies. The Port is anticipating all three phases of the project to be completed in July 2015.
Governor Eddie Calvo commended the hard working employees at the port, as well as partners in the private sector and federal government for working hard to make this happen. "At the end of the day, this news says to Guamanians that their government has its act together and gets things done to secure our future. And to everyone looking to Guam from the outside for growth and for leadership, it says we're ready, we're up to the challenge, and this is only the start of good things to come," the governor stated.
Port board chairman Dan Tydingco was also encouraged by the news of the RFP release, "it is very heartening to see very visible and concrete improvements of our port for users and consumers, now and for the future. Our federal partners, the Port Users Group of Guam, Governor Calvo, lawmakers, as well as the port board and management, worked collaboratively to get this done for the community and the region."
Meanwhile the total funding commitment from the department of defense through the U.S. Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration for the Port Authority of Guam is $50 million.
A second teen is dead following a single car crash in Yona. It happened on Manenggon road around 11:50pm on Saturday. Police say the driver of a black Toyota Corolla was traveling east on Manenggon towards Route 4 Chalan Kanton Tasi when he lost control and ran-off the roadway.More >>
A second teen is dead following a single car crash in Yona. It happened on Manenggon road around 1150pm on Saturday. Police say the driver of a black Toyota Corolla was traveling east on Manenggon towards Route 4 Chalan Kanton Tasi when heMore >>
The Guam Police Department's Highway Patrol Division is investigating a fatal crash that occurred along Manenggon Road in Yona. Police spokesperson Paul Tapao says three occupants were inside a black four door Toyota corolla when it ran off the road at around 11:50 pm oMore >>
The Guam Police Department's Highway Patrol Division is investigating a fatal crash that occurred along Manenggon Road in Yona.More >>