by Mindy Aguon
Guam - Seven people were evacuated from their home on Adela Lane in Dededo on Sunday afternoon after a fire broke out in the kitchen. Guam Fire Department Spokesperson Lieutenant Phil Camacho says the call came in at 4:11 in the afternoon. When units arrived in minutes, they found the semi-concrete kitchen with a wood and tin roof fully engulfed in flames.
Dededo Mayor Melissa Savares tells KUAM that seven adults were living in the home with two dogs and two birds. Three people were inside when the fire broke out but were able to get out in time. Savares says one of the family pets, a dog, died from smoke inhalation. The four bedroom home is uninhabitable as there was significant smoke and soot damage.
Mayor Savares says her office provided monetary assistance for the family's immediate needs while paperwork is being filled out to seek aid from the American Red Cross.