Consulate helping Guam Filipinos reach family back home - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Consulate helping Guam Filipinos reach family back home

Posted: Updated:

by Jolene Toves

Guam - Many Filipino residents have been trying to reach their loved ones in Cebu and the Philippine Consulate and other Filipino organizations have been trying to help with communication.

News of the devastating earthquake which shook awake residents affecting over two million people in the three Visayan provinces has Filipino residents on Guam concerned for the well fair of their families, as lines of communication were not available yesterday.

For those who have not been able to reach their relatives the Philippine Consulate General is ready to assist, with Consul Maria Cortes saying, "Filipinos here who have families or relatives in the Philippines particularly in the three provinces of Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor they can contact our office if they wish to inquire regarding the situation in those three provinces and if their families have been affected."

Requests for information will be forwarded to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila at which time the DFA will coordinate with ground agencies to find information that Filipino residents here need regarding their families.

The Philippine Consulate General is currently coordinating with the Filipino Community of Guam and the Cebu Association of Guam regarding possible relief efforts. "Details have yet to be finalized we are still in the process of doing the initial coordination so we are working with the FCG and quite possibly with the Cebu Association here on Guam so we will be making the announcement whether they can provide donations," said Cortes.

She says the consulate will start taking monetary donations in a few days once the details for the beneficiaries are worked out.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Gun grabbing bill lapses, 14 bills total become law

    Gun grabbing bill lapses, 14 bills total become law

    Governor Eddie Calvo has allowed public safety oversight chair Senator Telena Nelson’s bill 324 to lapse into law. The measure criminalizes the disarming of peace officers. It was introduced following Lt. Governor Ray Tenorio’s gun grabbing inMore >>
    Governor Eddie Calvo has allowed public safety oversight chair Senator Telena Nelson’s bill 324 to lapse into law. The measure criminalizes the disarming of peace officers. It was introduced following Lt. Governor Ray Tenorio’s gun grabbing inMore >>
  • Machete-wielding Glladwin Snalbarb arrested for terrorizing

    Machete-wielding Glladwin Snalbarb arrested for terrorizing

    He was apparently drunk when he wielded a machete and asked passerbys to fight. Glladwin Snalbarb was arrested and charged for aggravated assault, terrorizing, disorderly conduct, and public drunkenness. Earlier this week, court documents state he was seeMore >>
    He was apparently drunk when he wielded a machete and asked passerbys to fight. Glladwin Snalbarb was arrested and charged for aggravated assault, terrorizing, disorderly conduct, and public drunkenness. Earlier this week, court documents state he was seeMore >>
  • Friday "Night of the Legends" concert to aid CNMI

    Friday "Night of the Legends" concert to aid CNMI

    More efforts are underway to help those affected by Super Typhoon Yutu. The CNMI Guahan TP committee, One Marianas, and Lady Diann Torres Foundation is hosting "Night of the Legends." The Yutu relief concert will feature an array of local artists, and allMore >>
    More efforts are underway to help those affected by Super Typhoon Yutu. The CNMI Guahan TP committee, One Marianas, and Lady Diann Torres Foundation is hosting "Night of the Legends." The Yutu relief concert will feature an array of local artists, and allMore >>
Powered by Frankly