School breakins result in $350K of damages - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

School breakins result in $350K of damages

by Jolene Toves

Guam - Less than one week into the new school year and already thieves have started targeting our schools.

According to Benevente Middle School principal Dexter Fullo, a set of lost janitorial keys led to four classrooms being broken into. The break in was reported to GPD yesterday morning. Fullo told KUAM News that while there were no signs of vandalism several items had been taken; amongst those items are a laptop, small speaker system, and women's shoes.

Last school year alone, a total of 42 breakins were reported to doe schools with damages close to $340,000, resulting in the implementation of the Secure Our Schools Act.

DOE deputy superintendent Rob Malay said, "There's two separate issues going on the one that you are referring to is the Secure Our Schools Act of 2013 and that one is currently in process over at GSA."

While the Secure Our School Act provides $1.28 million for security up to seven years for our island's public schools, DOE is also moving forward with an internal RFP, which opened today. "There's a second RFP that we are doing internally here at DOE using and it's to protect our federally funded equipment the investments that have been made through federal funds we are getting security to lock them up and make sure they are safe while they are on our school campuses," he explained.

The RFP seeks to provide security for all 40 DOE schools. While the RFP and Secure Our Schools Act are still in process, Fullo says BMS is equipped with cameras and all evidence of the break-in has been turned over to GPD.

According to Fullo as a precaution locks on the doors will be changed. It is incidence such as these that warrant our island's school system to be proactive in securing our school grounds in an effort to ensure our youths' education is not hampered.

We should note that the keys used in the burglary were located in an condemned building on the school grounds.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
  • $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
  • Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
Powered by Frankly