DPW serviced close to 40,000 students last year - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

DPW serviced close to 40,000 students last year

by Krystal Paco

Guam - With the new school year quickly approaching, officials from the Department of Public Works reported to lawmakers last night on the status of the school bus fleet.

DPW superintendent of transportation maintenance Paul Cepeda said, "By school opening we'll have roughly about 118 school buses ready to go. We have about 6 engines pending. If that comes anytime soon before school opens, we can also get those up and running."

And as DPW superintendent of bus operations Frank Taitano reports, it's a daily scramble to ensure close to 40,000 public and private school students are serviced every day with their short fleet and shortage of bus drivers. Taitano says DPW would best operate with 179 buses and bus drivers.

Taitano said, "We got to look and see where there are more schools. For example, Dededo. They have six or seven elementaries verses Tamuning we only have two. We'll have the drivers in Tamuning do a double or triple run and make the ones in Dededo more complete because that's a further distance. That's how we've been working it. All the drivers - it may not happen for high school - but for elementary they do two, three, sometimes four runs."

As a result, oversight chair for transportation Michael San Nicolas has requested the agency provide this plan to his committee in order to better communicate with parents.

Meanwhile, DPW adds there are new challenges this school year, including servicing the Guahan Academy Charter School opening in Tiyan as well as the request to service Southern Christian Academy.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    Jon Fernandez's lawsuit dismissed

    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
    The $7 million lawsuit Superintendent Jon Fernandez filed in November 2016 against former members of the Guam Education Board was dismissed. The lawsuit was filed after the Guam Education Board terminated Fernandez's contract due to allegations of sexual More >>
  • $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    $13M in tax refunds coming Monday

    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
    The administration announced $13 million in tax refunds will be mailed out on Monday. The 2,700 checks being processed covers those who filed their returns error free by February 4.More >>
  • Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    Joshua Mesa arrested for meth

    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
    It wouldn't be the first time he led authorities in a chase. Joshua John Untalan Mesa was arrested and charged in federal court for attempted possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and depredation to government property. Last week the feds iMore >>
Powered by Frankly