Triple J requests to reverse awarding of bus purchase - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Triple J requests to reverse awarding of bus purchase

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - The keys for ten new 84-passenger school buses were turned over to the Department of Public Works last week, but may be kept off the streets until a protest filed with the OPA's office only 48 hours ago is resolved.

Vehicle distributor Triple J Enterprises, Inc. acknowledges that they may not have been the lowest bidder for the purchase of new school buses - but they do contend that the winning bidder, Morrico Equipment Inc, failed to meet the bid specifications as listed by the General Services Agency. Specifically side emergency door exits and anti-corrosive rivets on all body parts.

In their appeal to the Office of Public Accountability filed on Monday by Triple J president Jeff Jones, Triple J requests GSA reverse the award. This follows their protest with GSA filed last month because Morrico states they complied with all bid specs, when they allegedly did not as Triple J states some specs are not available from the manufacturer. In addition, that DPW personnel pointed out the discrepancies but failed to make the correction prior to shipment. In their notice of appeal Triple J requests Morrico correct the deficiencies or Triple J should be awarded for being the most responsible bidder. As we reported late last month GSA denied Triple J's request for reconsideration resulting in the turning over of keys and DPW director Carl Dominguez's acceptance of the buses.

Also in the appeal, Triple J notes their concerns and the discrepancies could have been avoided had GSA not canceled the pre-bid conference where these issues could have been discussed at an earlier time. Triple J adds that GSA provided an unreasonably short time for questions to be posed and on one occasion refusing to accept a written request for clarification of the bid requirements.

In response, GSA holds its position that the protest has no merit because the award was already made. Triple J contends this is illogical and ignores the fact that they could not have protested prior to the arrival of the buses and that GSA and DPW had every opportunity to reject the buses.

If the award is not reversed and the government feels it is in its best interest to overlook such deficiencies, Triple J is willing to discuss a settlement as compensation for its lost income and extra expenses incurred.

As we've been reporting the ten new buses were purchased through $1.28 million in Department of the Interior funding and would bring the school bus fleet up to 137. Although not the ideal 179 DPW would better operate with, the buses would be an asset to the northern, more populated villages.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Elderly man found dead in Yigo

    Elderly man found dead in Yigo

    The Guam Police Department has launched a death investigation after an elderly man was found dead off Chalan Mataguac in Yigo. Police spokesperson Paul Tapao says the report was made shortly after six o’clock Thursday night. Tapao says a resident juMore >>
    The Guam Police Department has launched a death investigation after an elderly man was found dead off Chalan Mataguac in Yigo. Police spokesperson Paul Tapao says the report was made shortly after six o’clock Thursday night. Tapao says a resident juMore >>
  • Suspicious package at Rev & tax determined not to be a threat

    Suspicious package at Rev & tax determined not to be a threat

    A brief scare at the Department of Revenue and Taxation this evening after a report of a suspicious package was made to 911 at 6:08pm. The all clear was given about a half hour later. The Guam Fire Department, Guam Police Department, and the Guam InternatMore >>
    A brief scare at the Department of Revenue and Taxation this evening after a report of a suspicious package was made to 911 at 6:08pm. The all clear was given about a half hour later. The Guam Fire Department, Guam Police Department, and the Guam InternatMore >>
  • Woman dies after Mangilao crash

    Woman dies after Mangilao crash

    Police say one person is dead and two others were injured in a three-car collision around 1:30pm on Price Road in Mangilao by Route 10. One female victim was taken to Naval Hospital in Agana Heights; she was a 67-year old woman who died from her injuries.More >>
    Police say one person is dead and two others were injured in a three-car collision around 1:30pm on Price Road in Mangilao by Route 10. One female victim was taken to Naval Hospital in Agana Heights; she was a 67-year old woman who died from her injuries.More >>
Powered by Frankly