DepCor used to take down candidate's signs - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

DepCor used to take down candidate's signs

Posted: Updated:

by Sabrina Salas Matanane

Guam - It's a sign Guam's favorite pastime has come to an end, at least until the next election cycle.  Many island residents will be pleased that political signs will be coming down along Guam's roadways. But residents had some concerns when they noticed Government of Guam official vehicles and workers taking down the signs of one political candidate. 

Several vehicles assigned to the Department of Corrections were caught in Chalan Pago taking down signs for Department of Youth Affairs director Adonis Mendiola. Apparently the corrections director ordered it. 

Spokesperson Lieutenant Antone Aguon says Mendiola offered DepCor the signs to reuse the wood for other projects that they do around the island.  Aguon says the director ordered two officers to go around and take down the signs until he received a phone call, informing him that it was a violation to be doing that on the government's time and dime. 

Aguon says the director apologizes for authorizing the activity and once he realized it was wrong, he had the staff stop.  That order came, however, after they'd already taken down about a dozen signs.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly