"Cinnamon Challenge" banned from schools - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

"Cinnamon Challenge" banned from schools

Posted: Updated:

by Krystal Paco

Guam - Cinnamon is a harmless spice that most people have in their kitchens.  But because of a new Internet phenomenon, the island's schools are conducting random searches to prevent students from taking the possibly fatal "Cinnamon Challenge". 

A spoonful of sugar may help the medicine go down, but today's teens are attempting to eat spoonfuls of cinnamon. Thanks to viral YouTube videos, students across the island are participating in a game called the "Cinnamon Challenge" in which they eat or swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon without drinking anything. George Washington High School assistant principal Gaylene Cruz warns that it's not as harmless as it seems, telling KUAM News, "It's something on YouTube; it's supposed to be some great phenomenon that everybody is now doing a challenge. We took preventive measures before it became an issue, we went ahead and alerted the teachers and told the teachers to be on a look out as well as school aides, and we also sent warnings out to students that this will not occur here."

The game is dangerous, as cinnamon absorbs the saliva in the mouth and throat making it difficult or impossible to breathe, especially for those who already have asthma. Participants are often left gasping for air, coughing, and in some cases vomiting. "I guess kids are going to be kids," Cruz speculated. "What's disappointing on the YouTube it's an adult initiating the challenge, so they want to make and see sort of like the Guinness Book of World Records. For me, I think it's ridiculous because it poses a threat and it's a health hazard, and someone can die from that just by constricting your respiratory system."

Cruz says word has spread fast among students as one GW student was caught in possession of the spice, which was immediately confiscated.  Staffers were able to find the cinnamon thanks to the clear and mesh backpack policy. "I tell you - it's the best thing that's ever happened. We're able to see and students are aware that we're able to see through to avoid bringing in any illegal contraband in," she explained. "There was one on Monday that we did find a student with cinnamon, but because we were on top of it we caught it before anything happened."

Public schools on the island apparently aren't the only ones battling this new fad. KUAM News has confirmed that Guam High School is also on alert and being vigilant to keep students safe.  Parents and sponsors of Guam High students have been put on notice that disciplinary action will be taken on those who are using cinnamon as a drug. 

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Friends mourn Mangilao crash victim Ana Chargualaf

    Friends mourn Mangilao crash victim Ana Chargualaf

    Friday, March 22 2019 3:50 AM EDT2019-03-22 07:50:59 GMT
    The 67-year old woman who died in a three-car crash in Mangilao has been identified as Ana Chargualaf. Her death marks the fifth traffic-related fatality of the year. Seniors at the Mangilao Senior Citizen Center held a moment of silence early Friday mornMore >>
    The 67-year old woman who died in a three-car crash in Mangilao has been identified as Ana Chargualaf. Her death marks the fifth traffic-related fatality of the year. Seniors at the Mangilao Senior Citizen Center held a moment of silence early Friday mornMore >>
  • Guam ranked 5th in chlamydia rates

    Guam ranked 5th in chlamydia rates

    Thursday, March 21 2019 10:39 PM EDT2019-03-22 02:39:04 GMT
    The rates of sexually transmitted diseases on island are climbing. Last year, Guam ranked a startling 5th in the nation for Chlamydia.This week, representatives from the Department of Public Health traveled off island to a national conference to find soluMore >>
    The rates of sexually transmitted diseases on island are climbing. Last year, Guam ranked a startling 5th in the nation for Chlamydia.This week, representatives from the Department of Public Health traveled off island to a national conference to find soluMore >>
  • Former Guam residents return as marines for military exercise

    Former Guam residents return as marines for military exercise

    Thursday, March 21 2019 10:12 PM EDT2019-03-22 02:12:42 GMT
    A pair of Guam-bred Marines were back home for a brief visit, after taking part in the recent COPE North exercise involving more than two thousand troops from three countries. For Marines Benjamin Blas Jr. and Daelankris Alviz, the multinational Cope NortMore >>
    A pair of Guam-bred Marines were back home for a brief visit, after taking part in the recent COPE North exercise involving more than two thousand troops from three countries. For Marines Benjamin Blas Jr. and Daelankris Alviz, the multinational Cope NortMore >>
Powered by Frankly