Yona murder case in court - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Yona murder case in court

Posted: Updated:

by Nick Delgado

Guam - It's been nearly two years since 31-year-old Vincent Peredo was murdered in his Yona home, and it appears family members of the victim are growing tired of the delays with the court case. After some confusion over the law, the men allegedly responsible for the death of Peredo will wait another month before they're sentenced.

The defendants are accused of beating Peredo and leaving him to die in March 2010. The group left the home with trash bags filled with marijuana. Cal Jerome Delorie was first to plead guilty to the murder charges followed by Zared Lizama. The two face life in prison with the chance of parole after 15 years, however Derrick Cruz, who has yet to finalize his guilty plea agreed to life in prison with the chance of parole after 25 years.

It's an argument that continued last month's sentencing for today, but Cruz's attorney Richard Dirks, told the court he still needs more time and needs to discuss information he read in news reports that relates to his clients case. "There was an article in the paper that have raised a couple of issues that I would like to check out, this is coming from the attorney and not from Mr. Cruz," he said.

But the court and the prosecution did not easily agree to the request. Assistant Attorney General David Rivera said, "I don't know what matter Mr. Dirks is referring to, although I can say at this point I haven't received any filings on this. Obviously the family has been coming on a regular basis here to court and would like to see matters resolved."

The next hearing is what Presiding Judge Alberto Lamorena said would be the day all three defendants are sentenced. The sentencing is scheduled for February 21 at 3pm. In the Meantime, Peredo's family already frustrated over the dragging court proceedings are hopeful there will be some closure soon.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Guam in COR 2; Damaging Winds Expected Thursday Morning

    Guam in COR 2; Damaging Winds Expected Thursday Morning

    Guam is now in Condition of Readiness (COR) 2. In the interest of public safety, and as a precautionary and proactive measure, Governor Eddie Baza Calvo has placed Guam in COR 2 as of 8 p.m. In conference with Rear Admiral Shoshana Chatfield, commander, JMore >>
    Guam is now in Condition of Readiness (COR) 2. In the interest of public safety, and as a precautionary and proactive measure, Governor Eddie Baza Calvo has placed Guam in COR 2 as of 8 p.m. In conference with Rear Admiral Shoshana Chatfield, commander, JMore >>
  • Emergency Shelters Prepared to Open at 8 p.m.; Residents Urged to Prepare

    Emergency Shelters Prepared to Open at 8 p.m.; Residents Urged to Prepare

    The Guam Department of Education (GDOE) is preparing to open three emergency shelters at 8 p.m. The government of Guam is expected to go into Condition of Readiness 2 for Tropical Storm Man-Yi this evening. Residents who need emergency shelter are encouraMore >>
    The Guam Department of Education (GDOE) is preparing to open three emergency shelters at 8 p.m. The government of Guam is expected to go into Condition of Readiness 2 for Tropical Storm Man-Yi this evening. Residents who need emergency shelter are encouraMore >>
  • Quality Distributors donates $32,000 in food to Salvation Army

    Quality Distributors donates $32,000 in food to Salvation Army

    This afternoon, Quality Distributors donated over $32,000 worth of food to The Salvation Army Guam Corps Food Bank. This marks the 17th consecutive years that Quality Distributors continues to support the efforts of the Guam Corps. They have since donatedMore >>
    This afternoon, Quality Distributors donated over $32,000 worth of food to The Salvation Army Guam Corps Food Bank. This marks the 17th consecutive years that Quality Distributors continues to support the efforts of the Guam Corps. They have since donatedMore >>
Powered by Frankly