Buenas yan minagof I tinulaikan I sakkan! (Greetings and Happy New Year)
As we welcome the New Year, let us be grateful for our many blessings. In 2011 we persevered as a community in dealing with the realities of the economic downturn. We remained grounded in our optimism and closed off this year with a major milestone in pursuit of a new economy. In our combined efforts between the office of the governor, our delegate to congress, and the Guam Legislature, Guam was granted parole authority for the Russia Visa Waiver program. In the spirit of ina'fa'maolek the Guam Legislature worked diligently on authoring a wide range of legislation-well over a hundred in fact-that were passed into public law. Laws that…
* protect our children against bullying, sex crimes, and other heinous crimes,
* improve access to higher education and provide for improved facilities and computing
technologies for our public school kids,
* establish and advocate for a more business friendly environment,
* ensure greater accountability in the use of government funds,
* called for an expanded regulated list and for stricter controls on illicit drugs,
* preserve and promote our Chamorro language and culture, and
* laws that better provide for our veterans and persons with disabilities, to name a few.
2012 looks to be a great year and we each have a role to play if we are to move our island forward. As a government, business entity, or as a member of a private household, we should live within our means without sacrificing the quality of work that we provide. This means that we should labor efficiently and effectively while also being supportive, encouraging, and respectful of one another at all times.
In the larger scope of things, the road ahead in 2012 is one that will require innovation and a commitment on each of our part in moving Guam forward. In light of this, and in the spirit of setting personal and professional goals for the New Year, let me share my resolution with you. As Speaker of the Guam Legislature, I resolve to continue to work alongside both Democrats and Republicans in the spirit of ina'fa'maolek so that we may continue in our shared responsibility towards making Guam great again.