Abandoned vehicle cleanup effort in limbo - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Abandoned vehicle cleanup effort in limbo

Posted: Updated:

by Nick Delgado

Guam - The Abandoned Vehicles Program is going nowhere - at least that's the opinion of most island mayors. Sinajana Vice Mayor Robert Hofmann says they are waiting for the General Services Agency to give official notice that the current contract is expired. Hofmann says there is about $90,000 left to continue the program, but they need the notice from GSA before they can proceed with another contract. This latest delay has left mayors frustrated.

"We've told them our frustrations during the public hearing several weeks ago," he noted. "We let them know how embarrassed and frustrated we are, we even went to the point where we should just cancel the project and give people back their money for their registration so they can pay the solid waste receiver to do it."

Mayors are also waiting for Bill 290 to become law, as the measure would appropriate $475,000 from the Recycling Revolving Fund for cleanup around the island.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    American Red Cross Red Ball celebrates "Arc Angels"

    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American RedMore >>
    The crowd showing up for the annual Red Ball event held at the Dusit Thani Resort in Tumon on Saturday.This year's theme was Arc Angels, celebrating the angels in our community. Attendees coming together to celebrate and support all that the American Red More >>
  • Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Calvo officially requests for disaster declaration

    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. CalvoMore >>
    Gov. Eddie Calvo has sent his official request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration. He is asking that the entire territory be made eligible for public assistance, individual assistance and the Hazard mitigation grant program. Calvo More >>
  • Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial pushed back again for prison murder

    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
    Trial is pushed back yet again for the defendants charged in connection to last year's murder at the Department of Corrections. As reported, Edrite "Manson" Isar was found dead in his jail cell at the Hagatna lockup. Though it was initially believed he diMore >>
Powered by Frankly