Governor issues Reorg Advisory No. 1 - KUAM.com-KUAM News: On Air. Online. On Demand.

Governor issues Reorg Advisory No. 1

Posted: Updated:

by Ken Quintanilla

Guam - He's been talking about it since last week, but now Governor Eddie Calvo is putting his words into action today issuing reorganization advisory number one which outlines a special displacement and reengineering program.  If you didn't think it was going to happen, the Calvo Administration means business.

They're laying the groundwork for what's to come, creating a program to help displaced workers once the ax starts to fall, but just how deep and how serious those cuts will be hasn't been determined just yet. The Governor's Reorganization Advisory Number 1 encourages government employees who feel they may be laid off to enroll in a Newly-Created Displacement and Re-Engineering Program.

In summary, the program will:

  • Work with government directors and the department of administration to identify laid-off workers and bring them into the program voluntarily
  • Offer a host of services to help laid-off workers enter the private sector by providing skills assessment, career counseling as well as services like  resume development
  • The program will also encourage displaced employees to start a small business
  • Subsidize college tuition costs for one year

Governor's Chief of Staff Frank Arriola said, "It's going to be a tough situation for many of our workers but we will do the best that we can to get them retooled, reengineered into another position in the private sector." On Thursday government directors will be meeting to go over the procedures governing the looming layoffs. "They'll go through the full training as to what that process is going to look like," Arriola added. "Moving forward, we will address any issues our cabinet needs to address at that time."

The general notices, which should go out by the end of this week, serve as a 60-day warning that layoffs are pending. From there, an extensive evaluation will be conducted to determine who will actually receive the official bad news. "There's a Retention Register, and that's where the DOA Human Resources Department takes all those positions that have been identified as not being necessary and they measure what the order of the layoff order is based on: years of service and performance evaluation," Arriola said.

For now, Adelup could not provide specific details as to how widespread or how deep the axe will fall. "We're working with our fiscal departments. And agencies and they will identify to get us to a certain point; we need X-amount of dollars available freed up and will give us a guide as to the approximate number of employees. We don't know that information at this point."

Governor Calvo in his advisory today said it was with deep regret he must make the forthcoming decisions to reduce, but said these are tough decisions that should have been incrementally made over the past twenty years.

  • NEWS HEADLINESMore>>

  • Derrick Baza Hills back in court for theft

    Derrick Baza Hills back in court for theft

    Back in court - this time, for theft charges. A violation notice was filed in the District Court of Guam against Derrick Baza Hills. Back in December 2017, the former senatorial and Agat vice mayoral candidate reportedly stole less than $100 worth of items from the Navy Exchange. He already faces several other charges involving prescription drugs and theft in the local court. He'll make his first appearance in federal court on March 6.More >>
    Back in court - this time, for theft charges. A violation notice was filed in the District Court of Guam against Derrick Baza Hills. Back in December 2017, the former senatorial and Agat vice mayoral candidate reportedly stole less than $100 worth of items from the Navy Exchange. He already faces several other charges involving prescription drugs and theft in the local court. He'll make his first appearance in federal court on March 6.More >>
  • Dededo students march for world peace

    Dededo students march for world peace

    Rain or Shine, these Roadrunners want World Peace. Benavente Middle School hosted their 8th annual March for Peace Thursday morning. Students, along with Superintendent and members of the Board, marched to Maria Ulloa and Wettengel Elementary, with signs promoting peace. Principal Patrick Egrubay said, "Peace is something that each of us should strive for, especially more recently we know that there's tragedy that's going on across the country and around the world, we want our s...More >>
    Rain or Shine, these Roadrunners want World Peace. Benavente Middle School hosted their 8th annual March for Peace Thursday morning. Students, along with Superintendent and members of the Board, marched to Maria Ulloa and Wettengel Elementary, with signs promoting peace. Principal Patrick Egrubay said, "Peace is something that each of us should strive for, especially more recently we know that there's tragedy that's going on across the country and around the world, we want our s...More >>
  • Bomb threat made to Guam High

    Bomb threat made to Guam High

    Guam High School and surrounding homes at Naval Hospital have been evacuated after a bomb threat is called in Thursday afternoon. The threat specifically targeted the school. GPD and Navy police are sweeping the area with K-9 units. The Naval Base Guam Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit is standing by in the event anything is found. Guam Homeland Security officials say all measures are being taken to ensure the safety of the public and first responders involved.

    More >>

    Guam High School and surrounding homes at Naval Hospital have been evacuated after a bomb threat is called in Thursday afternoon. The threat specifically targeted the school. GPD and Navy police are sweeping the area with K-9 units. The Naval Base Guam Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit is standing by in the event anything is found. Guam Homeland Security officials say all measures are being taken to ensure the safety of the public and first responders involved.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly